1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ottawa DB Players

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by terryjj1, Aug 3, 2012.

1. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012
    Hey,

Wondering if there were any hometown players or teachers on this site?...looking for someone to eventually get together and play\learn from....thanks

tj

2. I've been studying with Tom McMahon for what will be a year in September, first for a few weeks on electric before quickly moving onto upright. While he isn't a member here, I can wholeheartedly attest to his teaching abilities. He truly presents a multi-dimensional jazz education, and my lessons have covered more bass-focused concepts, no shortage of theory, and have also moved into composition. Take me seriously when I say this; he is a serious teacher who I highly recommend.

Within a week I will also be able to lend insight regarding John Geggie's teaching abilities, as I'll be participating in Ottawa's Carleton University jazz camp, where he will cover bass duties. I'll also be receiving more classically oriented lessons from him in preparation for an upcoming audition, and if, on top of jazz, classical and bowing is of importance to you, he may be the guy to accommodate your needs.

Also, Adrian Cho, founder, conductor and bass player of the Ottawa Jazz Orchestra, is a member on TB and is an active Ottawa bassist. I don't know if he does much teaching, if any, but he's definitely worth a shot as well.

3. terryjj1

terryjj1 Guest

Jul 19, 2012

thanks for the info...my current teacher is\was a senior student of JG's but is heading to NYC in the next couple of weeks to study his masters in music....I think JG might be too busy for beginners...impression I got...nevertheless, I suppose I could contact the other two and see what they say..if they'd be willing..what do you think about that idea?

4. Well, I'm not sure about Geggie being too busy for beginners, but I think it's a great idea to give Tom a call. When I started studying with him I was a complete beginner on upright, and he really knew how to get me on my feet and walking. I still leave my lessons feeling like I'm advancing as a player, even if we're a ways away from the fundamental concepts we started with.