Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ottawa...kinda gigspam!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hey you Ottawa TBDBer's, my school's jazz band (lead by Greg Runions) is going to be at the Earl of March high school in Ottawa for MusicFest regionals on Saturday. We play at 7, but will probably get there a bit earlier to watch some other bands.

I'm not sure who's in Ottawa except Adrian Cho, but I'm pretty sure all are welcome.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, I just got back -- literally walked in about 3 minutes ago. We did well, which equated to getting a "Silver." Note that we weren't the second best band in the festival -- multiple ensembles get Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Certificates of Merit. Certificates of Merit are apparently almost never awarded (they're kind of like "Hey, you guys have instruments, eh?" awards) but there were several given out in the "concert band" (marching/wind-esque ensembles) adjudications last weekend, so apparently they're marking a lot harder this year.

We played Take the A Train, Isfahan (our soloist for this one was our wonderful alto sax player,) and Drum Boogie. It was all swingin', etc., but alas, not good enough for Gold (and hence, the Nationals competition.) Overall, it went really well, and was a spectacular occasion to break in the new suit I bought on Monday.

3. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Awesome, I played there a few years ago. Who were the adjudicators and other bands? When we did it it was alot of fun and I think we got gold (although it's been a while).

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Two of the adjudicators were Paul Tynan and Jim Lewis...the Nepean All-City Jazz Band played as well as a few others. They got gold -- mostly because the frickin' rule. Great bassist, too.

We listened to the recording of it with one of the adjudicators commenting over it...he was really surprisingly complementary to me! I'm gonna post our recording of Take the "A" "Train on the TBDB next week when I get the CD.

5. This is cool.
    My Jazz Sextet is comin up from Michigan next week, for a week :eyebrow:

Apparently our school is one of very few that gets chosen to come from the US. From what I have heard about it it seems like it will be a good time

Ben Rolston

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Very cool -- so you're going to Ottawa, then?