1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Otto Rubner bass for sale

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by pklima, May 2, 2003.

1. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    1958 Otto Rubner bass. 7/8 body, 41" mensure, gamba corners, ugly woods, big fat sound. Located 100 miles from Houston and Austin, 200 miles from Dallas.

2. eriklomen

eriklomen

Apr 22, 2004
    I am looking for a bass for my daughter, who is a freshman at Eastman this year. She has "outgrown" her bass. What does ugly wood mean? Is it an instrument that has the kind of sound and playability that a serious student could use through school and beyond? Thanks.
    Erik Lomen

3. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    "Ugly wood" means this is from the period after the war when East German makers ran out of pretty wood. So there's little flame in the back, no flame in the ribs or neck, and the spruce top (two piece) is pretty wide-grained. The fingerboard is rosewood and the tailpiece appears to be black-painted maple.

I'm not a serious classical musician, so I can't answer your second question too well, but this is bass has a big dark sound and would make a great section or opera bass. I've been told many German opera bassists play Rubners because they're loud. It's less suitable for a solo bass because the shoulders are on the big side and the sound is dark. It has a good setup and is equally playable in all registers.

4. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    Do you still have that bass?? And price range??

Today I just talked to a friend of mine who's coming to UNT in a couple of days and he is looking for a bass.

5. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I still have the bass and would sell it for $7000. I've been away for a month and just came back to Texas today.

6. eunchang

eunchang

May 12, 2004
    Seoul, Korea
    It is a bit out of his price range...He is just as poor as me :D