Ouch - arthritis in fingers!!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BIg O, Feb 24, 2003.

1. I have inherited crappy joints from both of my parents, and have had minor arthiritis in my knees and ankles for the last several years (I'm 47).

Recently, I often wake in the middle of the night with the fingers on both hands almost immobilized in a curled position with what feels very much like arthritis. It generally is less severe after I am up and active in the daytime, but even with exercise I feel I am losing some of my playing ability and flexibility in my fingers.:(

In the past I have tried glucosamine, but after a month or two of taking it found no noticeable improvement. I take Ibuprofen almost every day, and before band rehearsals and gigs.

Does anyone else have arthiritis affecting their finger joints? What works for you? Any special flexibility exercises you can share?

This part of aging really sucks.:bawl:
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mine's not as severe... yet. Mine also mostly affects my wrists.

For me, warming up with a short scale bass helps tremendously.
  3. i got tendonitus in both wrists.

long period warm ups, play every scale you know, first with the pattern close, then start moving over the fretboard ...

4. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I have arthritis in my fingers and knees. It mostly acts up in damp weather. I take pain pills that my doctor gave me (also good for migraines :D). Before I practice each day, I shake my hands to get the acid in my joints flowing (I can never remember the name). In the one issue of Bass Player (the one with Ryan Martinie on the cover) that had the article on Tendonitis there were some nice stretches given so I do those and they feel real good...like bending each individual finger back until you feel a stretch (note: stretch not pain) and then doing the reverse.
  5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Off topic a bit.....did you know most migranes originate from your neck..... I used to get migranes all the time. My physio fixed em by playing with my neck and ultrasound. Now I never get em. If I feel one comming on, I do the neck stretches she showed me and it goes away before it becomes a problem.
  6. Funny - I thought mine came from my ex......
    ;) :eek: :D