Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ouch... GAS pains...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brane, Oct 16, 2005.

1. So, I just spent a fair bit of money (comparitively to what I had before and what my resources are) on my rig, mostly finishing it up. One thing I noticed, however, is that decent amplification is highlighting the shortcomings in my instruments. My Yamaha, while I'm fond of it, isn't exactly the best quality instrument around, and my Jazz is gonna need a lot more work before I can play it at any gigs (still rattles and buzzes all over the place).

Mind you, my wife thinks I'm just making excuses to myself to spend more money... which may very well be a valid point...

But anyway, I had to return back to the music store to replace my DTR-2 (gimpy LED), and unfortunately picked up an Ibanez BTB 4 string while I waited for them to help some other customers. I'm generally not a fan of Ibanez basses, but I guess I usually associate them with the Soundgear products. The BTB kinda blew me away. I tune to DGCF, and sometimes CGCF, so I can really see the benefit of the 35" scale. I loved the string spacing too... way wider than both of my current basses. The overall look impressed me as well... basically, I keep thinking about the damn thing. :) Even to the point of considering trading in my Yamaha.

Of course, it doesn't help that when I search for "BTB" I don't really find anything bad on them... and a fair amount of very positive reviews.

This particular model, as I said, it a 4, and not the quilted maple tops that they have on the website now. It looks like just a dark stain on the wood, not a gloss finish... I can't really find a picture of what it looks like online. It has EMG HZ pickups... not sure if those are standard for the line or what. One thing I haven't done is plugged it in yet (something tells me I'll be there tomorrow to do just that), but I have to think it's better than my RBX.

They are selling it for $849 Canadian... I guess that would be about 650-700 US? Plus, this is the same place where I just bought a pre-amp, power amp, tuner, rack case, and cabinet. :) I didn't really push for a deal on those, so I may be able to swing something a little lower... who knows.

Either way... I'm smitten. :) So I guess I'm looking for feedback to either a) dissuade me with bad experiences with the line, or b) give me some moral support should I decide to take the plunge and go for it. :)

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey bro, how's the Jazz looking? Where'd ya take it? Up to F-bass?

Anyway, where is this BTB? I'll probably go down and try it out. Seeing as I live in the same city.

I know Darrin has a BTB 6 which I love.

Take It easy,

Mark Wilson

3. It's at Central, of course. :) Only place I go to now.

Haven't taken the Jazz in yet. Been doing the house hunting thing, so no time for a trip to Hamilton.

Once that Jazz is fixed, I'm sure it's all I'll need/want in a bass... unfortunately, it looks like even if I take it in tomorrow, it will be ready in like the new-year. :) Every one I talk to says it will take time. The gigs are starting to roll in, though... and I need a good steady bass, like, yesterday. :)

If you do go check it out, tell me what ya think. A second opinion on the exact same instrument would rock.

4. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    BTBs are nice basses, I'm sure you'll love it. Any pics of the Jazz though? How's that coming along?

5. Not much to show, unfortunately. I actually just put on the proper knobs the other day, but that's about it. Since no one local will touch it, it's gonna be a while.

6. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Actually, i've got the number of a shop up in Hamilton called "The Peghead".

They're ex-builders from F-bass. You should give em a call, see if they'll do it.

1-905-972-9400

They're great people to deal with, and super nice as well.

Where are your gigs? I'll try to drop by if I can!

Take care,

Mark Wilson

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    BTB's are the only Ibanez's that I really like. I would say that you wouldn't be sorry for picking one up. IMHO, of course. :)

8. Aha! So this is where you've been hiding! :ninja: This is Zach's wife, aka "The Wife" and I would kindly ask that all you nice people refrain from encouraging any further purchases - Zach needs to be saving up for my Christmas present. :)

Also, there has to be some support site for spouses of GAS sufferers -we suffer inadvertently too you know.

Hehe. Sssh, don't tell Zach I was here.

Mrs. Zach

9. Heh, oops... busted. That'll teach me for forgetting to close the page when I leave for work.

Anyway...

Went to Central today, Darrin happened to mention he has a used BTB, exactly like the new one I've been drooling over. Great condition, bit of wear and tear from use, but plays exactly the same and significantly less cash. I'm finally gonna trade in the RBX, after about 7 years of faithful service. :) I'll have the BTB in probably a week or so, probably. I'll post pics when I do. I love the way it looks.

On a side note, I was told that the reason I can't find the wood on these basses on the site is that it came from a rainforest in Brazil (or somewhere, the details were fuzzy). It is now illegal to use this type of wood, and some others. Any truth to this?

I still can't seem to figure out what particular model these are. It has the full 18v pre-amp with the variable mid, so I know it's not one of the lower models, as I noticed they only have 3 pots. It does have the Ibanez pickups, not EMG as I originally thought (I think I got it mixed up with a Schecter I also tried). And it's a bolt-on, not NT.

Either way, I'm excited that it's within reach. And my wife is happy that it's not gonna cost all that much money. LOL

10. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Is that used BTB the 6-string?
    Cause I know he's got a BTB 6 in the back that I love. With a set-up, the thing would play like a dream.

11. Naw, I'm strictly a 4-stringer. :) I even find ways to talk myself out of a 5, even though I know for versatility I could really use one.

The neck is darn near as wide as a 5, though. I'm loving the spacing on those strings.

12. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    If you're liking the wide string spacing, there's a Stagg Tenor Bass there (EADGC) and I swear the neck is as wide as a 6-string.

It's only about 240 or something, and it's killer. Drop now new pups in and it'll be a dream.

13. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    I love my BTB.