Ouch! I broke my nut!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cheeseman, May 15, 2003.

1. cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well, not really the nut, but one of the little pieces sticking up on the sides. It's on my Warwick Corvette. You know, with the adjustable nut. It's a 2001 just in case you need to know.

I was changing my strings and when I picked the bass up to move it, the nut fell off and the little piece went with it. Now, the nut stays on as long as the strings are on and the tension is good because it has little screws that fit into little grooves, but is there a way I can fix this? I mean, as long as the strings are on the nut is fine, and it doesn't seem like a really necessary piece of the bass, nothing tone or feel changing anyway.

I'd like some opinions or suggestions because I don't want to break out the superglue just yet.

May 7, 2003
    i would at least glue the nut back in,if the little piece that broke off does'nt effect the strings at all i would'nt sweat it,i dont think i would use s-glue though in case i wanted to replace the nut in the future:D
  3. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    Hi Cheeseman,

I also have a Corvette with the just-a-nut. It isn't glued in either, just held in place by friction. I think it's by design. I definitely wouldn't superglue it, or you'll have a hell of a time ever getting it back out again, should you need to replace it- I needed to temporarily remove mine when I replaced the truss rod.

4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    a little dab of wood glue does a great job. You can pop it apart later if you need to, and you won't lose it when changing strings. just make sure to use just a dab, not a whole lot. If it doesn stick well, a small x-acto blade under the nut will pop it up easily without damaging the bass, if you are careful.