1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ouch i just got served and am being sued, read if your bored

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LCW, Oct 4, 2009.

1. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    So when i was 17 on 11/20/2007 i was with my ex and re ended a car at low speeds. I had a 1993 chev s-10 and the bumper bent a bit and the grill cracked. The lady was in her early 30's and saw no damage on her car, she asked if i was fine because i was shaking i was so scared. We exchanged info and she said everything was fine , she was okay etc.

10/4/2009, i am 19 now. The girl friend is an ex now, the truck has been sold over a year ago and i am broke in college. I get a knock on my door and a lady asks if i am lukas i say yes and she makes me sign a piece of paper, i am being sued.

There are alot of projected numbers but its anywhere up to 35,000$ in fines. The little money i have is enough to get me through a 4 year degree without going in debt, i now have to go to court:(

This is 1 year 10 months and 2 weeks after the accident, i think the statue of limations is 2 years.............great

2. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    that sucks. id call a lawyer. id also plan on never paying that.

3. Deny you are Lukas.

[​IMG]

Plead Insanity.

4. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    also dont freak out. that happened to my mom when I was in 4th grade. we slid in the rain and hit a car head on low speed. the lady in the car was fine and her 3 kids in the backseat were unbuckled and laughing about it like it was a game. about a year later the lady sued for back injuries and whatnot. she got $75,000 out of our insurance company but my mom paid nothing.

5. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    My first thought is that the lady is hard-up for cash (like everyone else), was thinking back, and saw the accident as a primo opportunity.

I rear-ended someone once, but they died two weeks later (one-car, reckless driving accident into a telephone pole). I was rear-ended in June of this year, but no major damage to either car or driver.

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    man i just hope i dont have to pay anything, i got some money but its for school. I just think her case is kind of weak, the satue of limitations is 24 months and she files half way through the 22nd, seems like she probably lost her job and decided this is a way for money.

As for insurance paying for it i am not surei was on my fathers plan at the time and i may have had liability, i did have insurance though.

I am trying to be cool about it because i got school to deal with

7. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    ha they died 2 weeks later, lucky:p

8. Swipter

Swipter

Sep 7, 2009
    PTX
    First thing I would ask my insurance company was if she signed papers stating she had no injuries and wouldn't take court matters later. I got rear ended and that was the route their company went with me. I also don't think turning 19 should have any affect on the case now since you were a minor then.

9. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    You signed the paper without reading it or without legal consult, you are probably not in a good place. Get a lawyer and get on top of this asap.

10. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    swipter, well put. I agree that since you were a minor on your dads insurance you are probably not at all responsible for this. Heres a question... what happened after the accident? did you get a ticket? did you go to court? did she go to court? did you get supervision? ticket?
    I spun out once in chicago at the S curve on lakeshore drive... a porsche hit me after I came to a stop so we did the whole call the cops thing and I got a ticket for driving too fast for conditions. the guy later went after my insurance company for damages to his old beater porsche. my insurance company told him i wasnt at fault so they wouldnt pay. the dude then tell them that I got a ticket so its my fault... lol thats when the insurane company tells him that since he didnt show up to court I plead not guilty and the charge was dropped.

11. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    ixnay on the lawyer, call the insurance company first. That's why you pay insurance, they have to provide you with a lawyer for crap like someone suing you two years after the fact. They won't like it, especially if you don't do business with them anymore, but if you were covered they have to pony up.

12. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Call your insurance company immediately!

13. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Not a damn thing happend after words she said she was fine , i filed a accident report as required with the DMV and never heard from her untill now.

My dad had us on full covergae insurance , she is suing for money from the insurance company then basically. I called my dad and he said i just need to appear in court our insurance company will have a lawyer there. He said more then likely they will try to settle out of court.

14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    +1

You paid them so let your insurance carrier handle it.

As someone who is currently being sued, for a far worse accident (not my fault but... :rollno:) than yours, it isn't worth getting to worked up over it. Really, don't worry about it.

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Did you report the accident to your insurance company back when it happened? Contact the insurance company (you had at the time the accident) immediately and send them a copy of everything you received. They should be handling everything.

16. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    You should report the suit to your insurance company first thing tomorrow morning, and provide your insurer with any papers you received from the process server. Your insurer will appoint an attorney to defend you. Until you talk to the attorney assigned by your insurer, you should not talk to anyone else about the accident.

17. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    NEVER SIGN ANYTHING.

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    No one "makes" you do anything. Should not have signed.

You were a minor at the time of the accident. Your parents should be sued, not you. Were you on their insurance?

+1 on getting legal advice asap.

19. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    If she sues, all you need to do is point out that you gave her your insurance information, and assuming she was covered in accordance with state laws, you are not liable, the insurance companies are. she should be making an insurance claim, not wasting the court's time.

Also, remind the court that you were a minor at the time.

20. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    My insurance rep is handling all of it, i want to appear in court. Even though my insurance will cover everything i dont want her to win , she is a lair and is trying to get some easy cash . Yes and i should have asked before i signed the paper, th day was just real tramtic my little brother may or may not lose his eye so i was running to the hospital at the time.

I actually have not drove, owned a car or had car insurance since 5/2008 i just began to see driving as pointless when i got to college and lived on campus.