Ouch my elbow

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mongeaux, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Since I got my new Pbass my left elbow has been getting sore. I played a Jazz bass for several years and never had this problem. I have tried making the strap shorter and longer but nothing seems to help.

Only two things come to mind as to why this is happeneing.

1. The Pbass is neck heavy. It seems to be putting a lot more stress on my shoulder that my Jazz did.

2. All the tunes I am doing atm have me playing below the 5th fret. I used to play a lot at the 5th fret and above. Playing in first position all the time makes my shoulder tight as well.

I have been looking through my Peter Murry technique book for a clue as to why Im getting sore but I did't really find my answer.

Maybe after playing guitar for 23 years my body has just permanenty conformed to the arm position used for that shorter scale length haha.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The scale length of the P bass and J bass are identical. I think neck dive could be the culprit here.

Anyone else?
  3. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Neck dive sounds likely, or to elaborate, what you're doing unconsciously to compensate for the neck dive. It could also be the wider neck. Perhaps both.
  4. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Ahhh, neck dive. So thats whats making it seem like a longer reach.
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a little case of tennis elbow going in my left arm. I think that carting heavy gear before and after gigs is what pushed mild symptoms from playing into something that demanded attention. I'm wearing an arm brace while moving gear now and trying hard not to aggravate it. My bass isn't neck heavy at all, but it is 35" scale and I get the pleasure of playing a lot of repetitive parts down low on the neck. I guess I don't have any advice for you, just some commiseration here.

6. Duuuh! New bass, jazz with EMG's or Barts.

Problem solved!

P Bass

Yeah, if you like hauling garbage cans for a living ...
    Try something, less, errr, industrial .... ya know.

7. Relax the shoulders. I bet you your playing too sense :)
  8. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I see now why many people post that they have a Pbass for recording but play something else live. The P has great tone but there is no way I could make it thru a several hr gig playing this bass. Well, I have my "tone" bass, my next bass will be the easy to play bass :bassist:
  9. if you want, you can either keep the P, and replace the neck with a jazz. that or you can take your jazz and put a P pickup into the Jazz slot, and solo the P all the time. sometimes money's the only way to solve a problem with a bass
  10. Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    Well its been a few weeks now since the original post and my elbow is just getting worse. I have tried everything, different straps standing, sitting ect. Its getting to the point now to where I am getting some tingling running all the way from the elbow to the hand. Its looking like I might just have to stop playing until I can get a different bass. It sucks because I sold both of my MIM jazz basses to help pay for the MIA P. :bawl:
  11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Take your bass and go to the doctor. I had a problem and suspected my instrument - my doctor picked up on it immediately after she saw me hold my bass.