Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ouch my fingers hurt after that one!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cirrus Kid, Apr 18, 2001.

1. The Problem: After long shows and intense practices the tips of my index and middle fingers hurt on my right hand! The day after the show or practice i usually get a poofy blister. Then after a couple more days you can see where blood has dried (i think?) and left a small brown spot. I usually try to ignore it and try and let it heal and lay off the playing. Over the years my fingers have grown harder at the tips... but then I will play hard and strip off all the hardened dead skin.

The Question: Is there something I could put on my fingers that would protect them... yet not effect my sound... and still take a severe beating?

Do you know what I should do? Do you even know what I'm talking about? Am I just a big sissy woman and complaining too much? Any input would be a great help.
    Thanx, andy

2. turn up the volume on your bass or amp, if you are talking your pluking hand. also stop plucking so hard, at least until you build bigger calouses.

3. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    I tried using Nu-Skin or something to cover up my blisters when I played death metal using my thumb as if u would a pick. Only had to do it for abt 2-3minutes before a nice white spot and pain became evident. I wouldn't recommend it unless you dont care if you have battlescars. :) But it didn't work for my purpose, just ended up coming off. Perhaps give it a try, it may work for you. Should be with the band-aids in your local grocery or pharmeceutical store.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Superglue. Put a thin layer of it on your fingertips and let it dry hard before you try to play.

Don't make the same mistake my dumb ass did and try to peel it off afterwards though. Leave it on there...it will wear off when it's good and ready.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The only advice you should take is gruffpuppy's, none of the others would be effective and may cause problems down the road. Callouses are a response to friction, the body builds a protective pad of hard skin around the area. Take the time and build that up. There are no real protective additives to the skin that would be of real benefit that could hold up to the rigors of bass playing.

Mike

6. I have grown Calluses, but the problem is that they get worn down. Yeah, I wish I could play softer, but after awhile I forget to play soft and get into the groove and start playing hard again. The curse of ADD. I think I will try some kind of band aids, I just hope they don't peel off. If that doesn't work I'll try super glue. You're right though, I should play less aggressively with my finger picking hand (I'd probably sound better too.) We'll see. Thanx, andy

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Why do people always ignore doctors' advice?

8. Am I the only one here who hasnt gotten blisters or bleeding? My fingers calloused after awhile, and Ive never seen a blister on em.

9. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I still get blisters from time to time, and my fingers hurt almost all the time. I've been playing nearly every day for close to 2 years. Funny thing is, the callouses on my fretting hand (from playing g***ar) are gone now.

10. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I have calluses, but no blisters.

WOO! 200 Posts!!! :D

11. my problems arent as big as all you finger players(another advantage of a pick), but i still have my left hand. all i do, is take it like a man. blister and blister and blister some more. than, your fingers lose all feelings and its all good.

or you could just make your guitars do bridges where only they play and you can get a rest. or just play slow songs every third song or something.

if you wanna use band-aids, just look at the name: BAND-aids. they were made for it!

12. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    yea one time when I was going over a set list for an upcoming show I had my calluses come off then I had blisters then they bled then I stopped playing and we went outside. But I tried that nu-skin stuff and it doesn't work.. only when you have no skin at all can you tell it does anything. My blister/callous skin things.. like wheeze the dead skin is coming off makes PO like the airhead package writing.. haha ok well enough from me cause yea

13. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Nomadic Herder, I don't remember ever getting blisters when I started. In fact, my right hand isn't near as callused as my left. All my left hand finger tips (excluding my thumb) have really callused well, while my right hand my index and middle fingers have callused decently but are still a little thin, my ring and pinky finger have nothing, and they don't blister or hurt. I've gotten to where I can play with 4 fingers (haven't got slapping down, but that's what I'm going to work on next), I don't always play with the pinky. It's gotten to be common to play with my index middle and ring finger though. Now it's time for me to stop rambling.

14. i'm in a pop/punk/alternative 3 piece band. a lot of up tempo stuff. my former teacher said once that the less members in the band, the more work that each member must work. sux for me. i wish i could be in some Latin 9 piece band on the side. we would have huge percussion solos with whistles, bongos and gunshots. i could just sit back and relax for awhile. i think i would be more busy drinkin' corona instead of playing. it would be sweet! (sorry if that was random)

15. Dont be such a wus!!! Just deal with it. Just teasin'
    Like gruffpuppy said.
    A) turn up your amp.
    B) Lower your action.
    C) Practice more
    D) All of the above

16. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    How would lowering your action relate to the callous on a finger?

17. It may not. But lowering it could possibly allow the player to use a lighter attack while still getting the thick meaty tone.

18. my action is already as low as i about want it, it buzzes just enough. i play a peavey cirrus, they really put the stings pretty close to the wood on it. i think more practice would just aggravate the situation i'm in now, my fingers don't hurt any more, but i still have that cool brown spot on my index finger, the problem is that my girlfriend doesn't think so :rolleyes:

19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have callouses and never had blisters. I have been playing for 6 years now and when I started, I was told to use Superglue (as I already mentioned). I can't believe you people disregard the powers of a good glue!