Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ouch! ouch! ouch! (and how to deal with it?)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pacman, Apr 9, 2001.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Ok, I f**ked myself up tonight. I work at theatre, and during load out tonight, I managed to get a cart with about 600 lbs of marley (dancer's floor covering) to roll over my ring finger of my fretting hand. Hurt like a b**ch. Might the nail.

Here's the deal. I've got gigs all week (Mon - Thur + Sun) and one of the most important auditions of my life on next tuesday (the 17th).

It doesn't hurt too bad, but lateral movement tends to sting, and it's pretty swolen. (Actually, it's still bleeding a bit) Does anyone have any advice for this. The feeling hasn't returned all the way to the finger yet.

I wouldn't be too worried, except this audition I'm playing the Bach Cello Suite in G and some bop stuff, etc, etc, and it really HAS to be good.

Anyone have any advice?

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Explain the situation to those for whom you'll be auditioning and try to find a way to push it back 'till your finger is better.Maybe get an Xray just in case.

3. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    thanks, unfortunately, not possible. Plane tickets are paid for and non-refundable. etc, etc I will tell them what happpened, but I've got to audition. I'm positive it's not broken (amazing!) so I'm cool as far as that goes.....

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Here's something to rub it in.....
    You know, Paganini did tihis trick to amaze people. He'd break a string at the worst passage of the tune, and play even better with one string gone... A well rehearsed trick, of course.
    Strikes me you've got a week to do a similar trick....Play just as good with one finger off duty.

Any way, keep your mood up, and keep practicing -- you may amaze yourself, even. [​IMG]

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Ouch! Bummer. Wow! - I'm sure you needed none of those comments.

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation, but I know from my past experience that finger injuries really need to heal. I kept playing with an injury on my right middle finger knuckle, and I screwed it up pretty badly for almost a year. I can't use it to pop anymore - have to use alternate fingers, and I still have oter minor problems with it. I wish I had let the injury heal. I kept breaking open the same wound and a bunch of scar tissue formed there - along with god knows what other problems. I'm just really glad it healed for the most part - I was pretty scared at one point.

I think I would probably cancel out the other gigs, and go for the big one with lots of prayers (I'm a praying guy - it works for me). If I absolutely couldn't - uhhhh, I don't know? Tape it up? Try to get by using only your other fingers? Fake it as best you can?

Good luck.

6. Sucks to be you, Dude. :( Anyway I had a similar situation, GK speaker fell on my hand a week before a Major Gig. I soaked it in ice cold water every day, 15-20 min a day, for four days. Took it easy on the playing, Taped up the finger and it was fine in a few days, played the gig with no problems (and no taped-up finger). BTW, what are you auditioning for?

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Pacman - Try to find a doc who will hit it hard with some cortisone not long before you leave. I doesn't affect your dexterity.

My sweetie has worked in orthopedic surgery for years and they do it for people with finger motion pain to try and avoid surgery. The effect lasts temporarily, (YMMV, depnding on the dose/doc), but it lets the muscles and tendons rest instead of constantly staying inflamed.

Man, that sucks. :( I can see why you don't want to get a sub for that date.

8. Hey where's TB's resident Doctor? Dr. Mike? Where are you?

Anyways, u could always have a shot of pain killers by the doc? Sniff some serious **** and you won't feel a thing! lol.

Nah i wouldn't know what to do 'cept take it easy, take some pain killers and take everyone else advice but mine. :d

Merls

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, taking the gigs off's not a real good idea - playing bass is how I eat. But thanks for all the kind words guys.

This morning the fingertip seems to be kind of numb. I hope I don't have to do the "poke it with a hot needle" trick............

Reedo, I'm audtitioning for the Air Force. My wife and I have an audtition on the same day, sort of a package deal.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would suggest first to see a doctor.

That being said and done, ice it like crazy. Ice it a lot. (Editor's note: NOT to the point of hypothermia :)) Tape it to a strong finger to restrict movement, when you're not using it of course. This will give it a chance to rest. For God's sake man, get off talkbass, or at least don't type with that hand. Start typing one finger at a time, unless, of course, this is already your method of typing. :) I'm not sure what kind of injury it is, it doesn't sound muscular since it's in the finger, so ibuprofen or arnacin probably won't work. Just ice it to bring the swelling down, tape it to your pinky finger for support, be very careful with it, and only use it when YOU HAVE TO. (read: gigs). Best of luck BLINKY.

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I forgot, it's not bad to set priorities here. I know that playing is how you pay the bills, but don't risk permanent or prolonged injury. If you have to be poor for a week and skip one more menial gig to make an important audition or something, that might be worth it.

12. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Good advice. Good news is I don't think the finger is badly hurt. I can type, I've played a little bass today. The weirdest thing is the slight loss of feeling. I can feel, tell the difference between sharp and dull, etc, but it feels....funny.

I'm taking 2400mg of motrin a day, for the anti-inflamitory effect and one of the riggers on the crew recommended Arnica, so I started taking that. I'll keep you guys informed.

Good thing I already felt ready for this audition, huh?

and the gigs today, tomorrow and Wednesday are no big deal, I won't even have to use the finger.

Thanks guys, you all rock.

13. Well the reason it feels funny is because it is still traumatized, sort of like a finger concussion. Your nerve endings are still saying, "OW! what the hell happened?I don't want to deal with this, I'm shutting down!" If you take some of the good advice given here, it should be Okay in a few days.
    The only reason I asked what you were were auditioning for is that your audition material sounds like the same stuff I use- Bach Cello #1 ( I usually just do the Bouree 1 & 2 and the Gigue for auditions) And some bop heads, plus some Jaco and Jamerson riffs. But good luck, Man. From the Army to the Air Force..Hoooahh! :)

14. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Depending on how the weight rolled on your finger, several things come to mind, however, cortisone is really not indicated as this is an acute trauma and not a chronic problem. As to the nerve endings "waking up", that is exactly right. The swelling is going down and the nerve impulse tranmission is restored. So you may feel a little more pain than before. If you are taking Motrin, be sure to take the script strenght of 800mg TID (three times a day) because taking 4 200mg will not be as effective due to the uptake time and some other factors. Ice and rest is the key here, that will reduce the swelling and inflammation quickest. BUT----after 3 or for days you will want to apply heat alternating with ice 4 or 5 times a day. WHY??? The heat hepls revascularize the injured area, the increased blood flow speeds the healing process.

Hope that helps for future injuries,

Mike

15. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Just to chime in briefly - I played a 4 gig-in-4-nights stretch a couple of years ago starting the day after I had to get 7 stiches near the tip of my right hand index finger(don't ask). I asked the doctor if it was ok to do it (not explaining they were 3-4 hour gigs!) and he actually said yes. It sure felt odd, and basically went pretty numb after about 2 tunes each night, but I was fine and there wasn't even much in the way of pain. Luckily the wound didn't have any swelling associated with it. I would say your biggest fear is swelling, if you can get that to stop, and are relatively sure that despite some pain you will be ok in the long run, I would say you will be fine. Just GO FOR IT. Ok I will shut up, I wouldn't make a good motivational speaker I guess.

16. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

HMMMMM...With stitches its another ballgame alltogether. Your biggest worry should be the extent of the soft tissue damage and infection. Your numbness most certainly came from swelling and that is not a positive event. You could have quite easily done more damage while playing through your injury. After 2-3 days would say is fine but probably no more than 30-45 minutes of LIGHT playing. It takes time and immobility to properly heal soft tissue damage due to laceration.

Take it easy with stiches, let your body heal itself and then get back to business as usual.

Mike