Ouch X_X

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Verbannter, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Alright well, come New Years; like i'm sure many of you guys were.. I was absolutely trashed. Long story short, the entire right side of my body was engulfed in flames from gasoline. As a result.. I have second and third degree burns on my right hand (However, they're healing remarkably well.)

I no longer have callouses on my hands but i've managed to retain function in my hand (Although it feels quite different). I was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience, and if there are any magical TB remedies that would allow me to practice until my hand fully recover, or anything that will increase the recovery rate. (I currently use a product called silvadine (sp) with disinfectant and change my bandages twice a day.)

Because I just know how great the TB medical advice is. :bassist:
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Sorry about your predicament. I can relate because last year I spilled scalding hot coffee on my stomach and had third degree and second degree burns there and my upper thigh. I know I sound like the lady that sued McDonalds for that very same thing, but, man, did it hurt!!!

Silverdine is exactly the same thing I was prescribed and it worked like a miracle...a nice satiny white cream. Also I was told to expose the burns to air as much as possible to hasten the healing. They heeled, but first they peeled badly like a deep sunburn. I don't know if that will happen with your fingers and hand.

Your situation is more complicated than mine because you will be tempted to move your fingers and wrist a lot. I don't know if staying immobilized is good or bad.

In the meantime you could do something I have done when I can't sleep or I am in a car or somehwere I can't actually play my bass. I play it mentally. I picture the strings and where the notes are on the strings and how I'd finger any given scale or chord or bass line.

I hope your burns heel soon and that you have no residual damage that will require therepy. And please. please be more careful in the future. In short, don't get wasted again. You are very lucky you burned only what you did.
  3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    ive never experienced this myself but. I have burnt my fingers before (not badly) but enough so it hurts. Ive always thought you shouldent use your fingers if they hurt since if you do they will just hurt more.

i agree that playing your bass mentally is a good idea, i do it when im on holiday. Also since its just your right side that got totally trashed, why dont you keep practising with your left hand and then once your right hand recovers your left hand fretting will be really good. OR maybe use a pick?
  4. Ever thought about using a pick?

...and just curious...how did you get engulfed in flames?
  5. The most important thing is to get your hand healed properly, so that when you do start playing again, you won't be causing any damage.
    I wouldn't worry about losing practice time. You won't forget how to play. You could, however, take this time to work on different aspects of playing. Maybe work on reading or other theory-type stuff.
    Most of all, talk to your doctor or PT. Sometimes movement can help heal wounds. I'm not sure about burns, tho.
  6. Pull a Tony Iommi, maybe? ie, find some homespun way to make finger covers.

I'm really sorry...hang in there.
  7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I work as a waiter part time, on a conferance and banqueting team for a hotel. Depending on the size of the function that night (it could be in excess of 800) I could end up serving up to 18 bowls of soup. it just so happened that last week, a guest bumped into as I was having the soup cups I was holding filled.

Burning hot soup flooded all over my hand (it really was very close to boiling, as since we are serving so much, it has to be very hot to prevent the last few cups being "lukewarm"). The pain was intense, so I quickly diverted to put cold water on it. It was a very pale purple colour that night, but the next day it was firey red and starting to blister. Luckily, it didn't go into a full blown "raw" state, but it was very uncomfortable for a few days and meant I couldn't play bass.

So, I guess in a very minor way, I know where you're coming from :(
  8. Alright, well come new years after downing 7 beers and half a bottle of jagermeister it is to say I was enjoying life. (I'm Irish so deal with it!) Anyway, it just so happens that I wasn't the only one wasted.. as we spent over $100 on meat and beer and some other guys brought hards. It was fun and fine until one fool was pouring gasoline everywhere and threatening to light people on fire, he tried to do it to a friend of mine. Anyway.. the bastard later poured gas on my legs like he did to a couple people earlier.. but stumbeled as I was in a chair and ended up pouring it over my legs and my lower shirt and hands.. But hey! This time he took the lighter we were using for the BBQ and ignited me. Unprepared it spread as a few friends of mine tackeled to me to the ground and another poured water on me. I was still on fire for a good 10+ seconds. The materials for my pants held up pretty well and my shirt was barely touched, so I only have some minor first degrees on my legs, but my hands are looking much better now. If you guys want, I asked my friend to take some pictures with her cell phone and to forward them to me. Just a couple hours after the incident, even though it was worse 2 days later when I actually thought to myself, "This is actually serious, I should see a doctor." But hey! I don't have a camera :D

I'm not really chapped about the incident though.. I mean how many times can you say, "I remember the time that I was lite on fire". But i'm still going to get the kid back when I find him.

Cheers! :bassist:
  9. Wow. Party hard, eh?