Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ouchhh....car crashes hurt.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Went on a camping trip last Thursday that has been planned since last year. Finally got off the traffic jam/construction ridden highway after about 3 1/2, hours just to have some MORON run a stop sign and roll out onto oncomming traffic. And of course I just happen to be right there going 55MPH and smashed into the side of that car head on. All this happend 5 minuts away from the camp sight. The people in the other car admitted it was there fault and they were issued a citation for failing to yield.

Luckily it could have been a lot worse injury wise. Me and my friend only had a few bumps and scratches and some burn marks from the airbags. I was of course in a daze and when i got out of the car i stumbeled and fell on the ground and bashed my head onto the street that had a puddle of antifreeze or something that was leaking from my car. I thought i went deaf in my right ear for a little while too because for about a minut i could not hear a thing out of that side, but it came back.

My NEW car is completly totalled. Keep in mine i am going to be getting completly screwed out of this because i bought this car for 1,800$ used, with 24,000 miles on it, perfect body, new brakes, tires, ect. I got this car that cheap because the person selling it just wanted to get rid of it quickly. Anything insurance covers will not make up for how good this car was. Not to mention my car is 3 hours away in a junkyard and i wasn't able to recover my 300$ Cd player/sterio because when my dad went up to recover to license plate he didn't know how to take it out for me.

And now i move back to school in a couple weeks, i have an entire apartment to fill, which is 4 hours away....and i don't have a car.....
    All this because some f*****g b**ch is too stupid to stop at a stop sign. This hardley seems fair.......

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    sometimes life sucks. but it could be worse. it's just a car.

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

bummer !! major pain in the butt to be without transportation .
    lucky no one got seriously injured , these things can really turn ugly.
    you've got my sympathy , and i can surely relate ...
    do you have a room-mate at school ? maybe they can help out for awhile , rides back and forth to classes or whatnot ... :meh:
    hang in there , things usually have a way of working themselves out in the long run... :cool:

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yea, cars (no matter how good the deal was) can be replaced. Imagine if you were truly deafened in your ear. That would make your loss of the car quite minor in comparison, no?

Please don't take this the wrong way, I know getting into accidents suck. I totaled my car hitting a deer on the highway 2 days before Thanksgiving. Luckily the accident was covered by insurance and I ended up making out well (got more from ins. than I paid for the car, after I'd been driving the car for 5 years).

Remember, your insurance company is going to be looking at the blue book value when considering how much to reimburse you. You may end up getting more than what you paid for the car, which should help you in finding an equivalent replacement.

5. Main thing: No one got seriously hurt.

"Other people," cause all traffic accidents. ;)

Glad you're OK.

Mike

6. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I got t-boned by a drunk driver a few years ago and I was so thankful that I walked away. A car is no big deal when you put it into perspective.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If it makes you feel any better ---- I lost my pre-CBS Precis in a plane crash returning from a 4th of July gig the other year, (one wing strut didn't extend all the way down due to a hydraulic problem), and the Fender case crashed against a window, turning it into toothpicks.

I had to sell it for parts.

8. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    OK, I'm in the body shop business. Two things to remember is that the insurance company is going to settle with you based on the current book value of the car, not what you paid for it (don't even volunteer the amount you paid for it to them). The second thing is to remember to make sure that they include enough money in the settlement for tax, title and license since you will have to pay those on anything you buy since you don't have a trade in. Don't ask about T,T&L until they have already given a value. That way you know if they are including it or not. Go to kbb.com and nada.com to get an idea of the value of your car. Also look in the classifieds and on the internet to see what comparable vehicles are selling for. Remember that the retail prices on kbb and nada are the price you would have to pay from a dealer.

I hope some of this helps.

Larry

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Thanks to all of you.

I'm not quite sure what i'm going to do yet. I work for some attornys personally, and they offered me legal help if needed. I think i'm just going to ask for advice or for options. The other person already admitted it was there fault so i should't have any problems getting what i should. I would feel more comfortable haveing professional legal assistance though, just incase the insurnence company trys anything sneaky on me.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Don't sign off on any medical liability waiver either. Sometimes the real injuries don't turn up until weeks or months later.
    You'll always have another car. It is a drag when a good investment (rare in cars) gets lost to another motorists negligence. But you and your passengers are o.k.?

Learn to love the virtues of automobiles, but don't fall in love with any car, there's too much out there trying to destroy it.

11. You're lucky you didn't break your Spleennkle! A one story building can do that...

12. Yeah, that would have sucked, spleennckles are painful when broken :mad:

13. Its like a reverse Hannible Bananable

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Put it this way. The last accident I had was about 6 weeks ago and I didn't have 1.5 tonnes of steel around me for protection. The motorbike still isn't fixed and my right shoulder is recovering very slowly! But I'm not complaining because it could have been much, much worse! Accidents will always happen, that's why they're called accidents. Try to focus on the positives, the obvious one being that you're alive and you're not a vegetable...........