1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Our band has been given a difficult task...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Hollow, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Hollow

Hollow

Oct 16, 2007
    Maybe not difficult to others but this is going to be very weird for us. So we are going to be playing at a renaissance fair (school event where they have a medieval theme).Our band had all planned to make our own instrumental music and take turns doing solos and stuff. BUT something major just hit. The school tells us that we must play medieval music.:eek:

I went on the internet and searched medieval music and by god it is definitely not our style (our style is more rock and metal with the occasional dabble in funk). I tried searching medieval rock and metal music but the bands have bagpipes and other instruments.

Our band is composed of 2 guitars, 1 drummer and me on bass. Anyone got any possible tips for this lol. Scales maybe? musical recommendations?:help:

2. Watch some movies based on medieval times and listen to what is being played. And avoid tritones, else someone may hang draw and quarter you :D :D

3. Vanceman

Vanceman

Feb 14, 2007
    So. Cal.
    Look for updated versions of "Greensleeves" like on Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, or some of his newer stuff Blackmores Knights. He was a rockin dude at one time.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Look into Celtic music. For a rock approach to it, look into a band called Tempest.
    You'll find some stuff that you can play, and unless there are any music historians on your school admin, they'll be happy enough.

For some other great inspiriation, there was an "English Folk" movement. Some really great bands like Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span and Renaissance.
    Have some fun!

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    BTW, Fairport Convention's "Maddy Groves" is about the best "Adultery is a bad idea" song ever, with the line (when Lord Darnell catches his wife in bed with young Maddy Groves)

6. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Throw out the bass - get a lyre and a lute.

But truthfully, sounds like another case of the "gig organizer decides not to tell musicians the entire scoop until the very last minute because they are inferior to all other priorities"

7. Calebmundy

Calebmundy

Apr 5, 2007
    Nashville
    I suggest you tell the school that they should've hired an early music ensemble, and that they're gonna get the band they asked to play-you guys doing your thing.

8. Much of the music of the Renn. Period was modal. This means that, for instance, in the key of C, you could play a scale on D (Dorian Mode). You would play all the same notes as in C, but you just start and end the scale on D. You can do this with all of the notes of a major scale. Unless there is someone at the school that is highly educated in music history, which may be the case, you might be able to just do a straight-forward jam on different modes, keeping in mind that everything was very dry in the Renn. No swung rhythms.

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Um, why would there be Medieval music at a "Renaissance Fair?" The music would be from ~800-1450, but the Renaissance period in music is basically ~1450-1600. While it looks like if you did music from 1450 you would be fine, the fact is that there are many different styles and types of music within those periods.

I think the suggestion above to do some of Fairport Convention's music is a very good idea. Get a copy of the CD rerelease of "Liege & Lief." They use electric violin/viola, but you can still do these tunes and use a guitar with a good sustain pedal to handle it. You will probably have to transpose because the main vocals are female voice. I was in a band that did a medly of these and people really loved it, even though they had never heard the tunes.

I'd go for "Come all Ye," "Matty Groves," and "Tam Lin." Add a couple of Celtic fiddle tunes, Barabra Allen, and Greensleves, and you've got a set. There are lot's of other folk tunes that go back to the 15th c. Have fun! :D

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Not just inferior to other priorities, but workign under the stupid assumption that "It's just playing some songs, how hard can that be?! Play something ..... you know .... "renaissance-y."

:help:

11. I'd tell them "We're playing the music we usually play, and assumed we'd be playing when you hired us. Otherwise, find another band."