1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Our band is going to be in a Showcase

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Busker, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Kind of a battle of the bands thing. Just what the doctor ordered IMO, although personally I've never been involved with one of these before. Five bands will be playing for about 30 minutes each, which would be around 9 songs or so. The winner band gets cash and recording time (and we need a demo too). I'm really stoked about it. If we can win this thing it will be just what we need to give us a kick in the pants, to get us up and rolling.

We have played one free party gig, and just last night we sat in for five songs at this gig of a band we are friends with. They have the same instrumental lineup as us and we simply played their instruments when they were on break. Other than these two times, we haven't been on stage since I joined 3 months ago.

I'm sure many of you have experience with Showcase gigs. Any tips besides looking and acting professional, and playing our tails off? :D

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Don't go in expecting to win. Battle of the bands doesn't determine the best band just the one that got the most votes.

3. +1 It's usually a popularity contest at best, and a rigged contest at worst. I've done one before, thought it was a great idea to get gigs etc, but swore I'd never do another one.

But don't let my distain towards them take away your enthusiasm...GO ROCK THE HOUSE!

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Not sure why "popularity contest" is such a bad thing, other than sounding derogatory. I mean, a band hopes to be popular, right?

5. canshaker

canshaker

Dec 15, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown/ESP/Dunlop/Line 6/Normandy.
    I think what he meant was that the band with the most friends voting wins.

6. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    That may be the case, but we can bring friends too.

7. Sure, a band strives to be popular, to have their music reach the most people possible.

It's kinda like comparing Fall Out Boy to Dream Theater...which would win the battle? Which would you try to emulate? Popular isn't always better.

But in my experience with these things, musicianship, songwriting, stage presence, energy etc have ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING to do with the outcome of the contest.

8. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    At the end of the day, this may be the detemining factor. For better or for worse the ability to draw a crowd is very important for "making it" in the overall scheme of things. If you can't draw a crowd, you're going to have a tough run in the regular gigging market, so go ahead and bring them to this competition!

-Mark

9. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Now the truth comes out. Seems we are supposed to sell tickets to this thing. The band that sells the most tickets gets to choose when the want to appear.

Sell tickets, and I guess turn money over to the bar? That sounds like pay to play.

I suggested we might want to just simply forget it, but the singer says he can sell tickets.

10. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    But your friends aren't going to be counting the votes...

My one BOB participation was done as a laugh - couple of rehearsals, learn three songs, and go for it. Afterwards the guy who was introducing the bands, and announcing the results told me that we had received the most votes (from a panel of judges), but that the chair of the panel/organiser had overturned the result in favor of his friends band. We had no hard feelings - we had fun playing, but if we'd had more invested, then it would have been a bitter lesson.

Go do it, Have a good time. Sell a few tickets, but don't kill yourself or call in too many favours. You might win, you probably wont. You WILL get a chance to play somewhere you might not otherwise have got to, in front of an audience who AREN'T your friends, and might come and see you again.

11. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I did a Battle of the Bands where there was a panel of judges once, although to this day I've never heard of that happening anywhere else. It's nice, too, because we had no friends there, we won, and we pissed off a lot of fanboys in the audience. Good times.

12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    1. Load up the audience with friends and supporters.
    2. Look confident, like you do this all the time.
    3. Have some video shot of you practicing the gig tunes. At minimum, take out the worst of things you see like: spacey looks from one of the players; goofy dance steps, etc.
    4. Have your front man/woman take control of the show (see 2.)
    5. Have fun!

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, screw that! I have done a major record industry showcase before and it was nothing like you are describing (i.e. selling tickets, judging, etc). There were record label reps there and if they were interested in talking to you, that would be the reward. Not some BOB-most applause BS. This is a money making scam by the bar.

14. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Yeah. And I found out there will be 7 bands, not five. Oh well, I'll do it. It should be an experience. And like IanStephenson says, we'll get a chance to play a place we may not have otherwise, and in front of people who are not our friends. Maybe we'll gain a few new friends/fans.

And if by chance this bar wants to book us for a future show based on our short performance, I'll do my best to insure its not under these circumstances. Of course, I don't have final say-so, but I do have a vote.

15. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    wow what a scam..

they get bands for free and get the bands to do all the leg work for them...

I would be seriously offended.

16. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    bring as many friends and remind them to vote for you (folks tend to forget).
    rock out solidly.
    get the crowd going.
    be nice and thank everyone and the other bands and all that good stuff.

politrix aside, we entered a berklee battle, won it, and recorded the majority of our album with the free studio time. AND we met some really cool people/important contacts who got us a bunch more gigs. and some good and notable press too, thanks to the berklee machine.
    if you think it's worth it, do it. nothing to lose.

17. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of BOB's, as genres are so varied you can't say that for example a latin band is any better or worse than a metal band as they have so many different criteria to meet. I've played a few, and won and lost them but never come out feeling better.

music shouldn't be a competition it should be a collaboration.

18. HomeBrewTJ

HomeBrewTJ

May 16, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm not a fan of BOB's at all, pretty much despise them. That said, you almost have to participate in one to see why it sucks.

19. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    This thing is tonight! Small revision: its now supposed to be six bands, each playing for about 25 minutes. I'll tell y'all about it tomorrow, win or lose.:p

We are going to cram seven songs into 25 minutes, five covers and two originals that the singer wrote. Barely a breath in between songs. We've been timing it at rehearsals. A side note: I'll be playing a five string on stage for the first time. Not too worried, I've been practicing exclusively on a five for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Now a four feels strange.

The promoter, or whoever, gave our band 97 tickets to sell, and they are all sold, mostly due to the singer. He knows lots of people, has a lot of friends and family. I was given 10 out of the 97. I sold five, and gave away five (IOW, I bought five myself).:meh: Oh well, the band who sells the most tickets gets to choose when they will appear. We want to go on last or next to last. I assume all the bands got the same amount of tickets? This is probably going to be a huge crowd, even if no other band sold all their tickets.

20. Go the singer! It's great to have someone with PR skills or a even a large network of mates to draw on. Hopefully most of those he has sold tix to will be at your next gig!