Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Our band press release...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by invader3k, Feb 20, 2005.

1. I was working on a press release for our band this morning. Would be interested in getting comments, ideas, etc. This is not exactly how it will look on paper, but I couldn't upload a .doc file as an attachment, so here it is slightly edited:

(logo will be here)

Mason Becker
    Band Contact
    Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxxx
    E-mail: beckermt@hotmail.com

(street address here)
    Whitewater, WI 53190

Press Release

Fort Atkinson Area Band Available for Bookings

Three piece rock group has been together for over five years.

Fort Atkinson, WI February 21, 2005: Total Posers are probably one of the most established area bands you have never heard of. Originally started in early 2000, the three piece rock band has been making a concerted thrust to gain more exposure recently. They have played Jitters Coffeehouse in Whitewater numerous times, and will be appearing at the Tsunami Benefit Show at the UW-Whitewater campus venue on March 11, 2005. In the past, they have performed at events such as the Baseball Fest at Jones Park in Fort Atkinson, and the Applefest in Edgerton.

The band’s focus is on performing covers of well known rock & roll songs. They perform music by the diverse likes of Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tom Petty, the Ramones, Green Day, Johnny Cash, and many others. Their live sets are a mix of class rock, punk, and modern alternative. The band also has a handful of original songs with a mostly pop-rock flavor. They also have a self-recorded five song demo available, and a new website: www.totalposers.com.

The band consists of: Wayne Hasel Jr. on vocals and lead guitar, Mason Becker on bass guitar and backing vocals, and Mike Hoffman, their newest member, on drums and backing vocals. The band is available immediately for weekend gigs by contacting Mason Becker at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

2. Outside of the Skynyrd covers :rollno: , this sounds like the kind of band I'd play with.

3. Who would you be sending this to?

Personally, I'd change "Press Release" to "For Immediate Release".

4. Heh...yeah, I'm not a huge Skynyrd fan (I mean, I do like them, but not as hardcore into them as a lot of people), but they are almost a prerequisite for playing gigs around here...we do "Sweet Home Alabama" and "Free Bird", the two standards...which can be fun to play anyway...

Well, I am planning on using it in our press kit. I will be sending a copy to the organizer of a local festival, which we are hoping to play at. I think I am intending to keep it fairly simple so I can change it on an "as needed" basis. Anyone else have any thoughts, or opinions of things I should change or add?

5. We normally send our Press Release to the Press (hence the name ;) ) and Promo Packs to Agents/Promoters etc.

I*think* this makes sense? :D :D

6. Well, I just want _something_ to send to potential venues. What else would you suggest? I need something basic, so it seems like something like this would work.

7. If you're sending it out to venues along with your promo kit, I think just using a cover letter would be better than a press release. That would make more sense to me anyway.

8. Damn, this band stuff is complicated...I just want to get us gigs at local bars on weekends :bawl:

9. It's not complicated. If you were looking for work in any other field you'd send out resumes and cover letters to prospective employers rather than send a release to the press.

Think of your promo materials the same way... you're looking for a temporary job at these bars for weekends, so send them your kit and cover letter.

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Try this. Press Releases should be short and to the point.

(logo will be here)

Mason Becker
    Band Contact
    Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxxx
    E-mail: beckermt@hotmail.com
    Total Posers website: www.totalposers.com.
    (street address here)
    Whitewater, WI 53190

Press Release

Total Posers, a Fort Atkinson Area Band, is a three piece rock group that has been together for over five years.

Total Posers, formed in early 2000, is one of the most established bands in southern Wisconsin.

Total Posers will be appearing at the Tsunami Benefit Show at the UW-Whitewater campus venue on March 11, 2005.

They have played Jitters Coffeehouse in Whitewater numerous times and they have performed at events such as the Baseball Fest at Jones Park in Fort Atkinson, and the Applefest in Edgerton.

The band performs covers of well known and diverse rock & roll songs of groups such as Lynyrd Skynyrd, Tom Petty, the Ramones, Green Day, Johnny Cash, and many others. Their live sets are a mix of class rock, punk, and modern alternative, along with some of their pop-rock original songs. A five song demo CD is available.

The band consists of: Wayne Hasel Jr. on vocals and lead guitar, Mason Becker on bass guitar and backing vocals, and Mike Hoffman, their newest member, on drums and backing vocals. The band is available immediately for weekend gigs by contacting Mason Becker at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

11. Thanks sundogue, I like it.

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Cool. I helped a few folks out here re-writing bios and such. Let me know if there is more I can help you with.