1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Our band's covers: what do you think?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by gregelka, Apr 28, 2006.

1. gregelka

gregelka

Apr 25, 2006
    Topeka, KS
    A couple friends and I started a band about 3 months ago, out first show is coming up in the middle of may. I wanted to hear what you guys though of out covers.

Our Lady Peace- Somewhere out there
    Our Lady Peace- Not Enough
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers- Scar Tissue
    Incubus- Stellar
    Incubus- Drive
    Foo Fighters- Everlong
    The Outfield- Lose Your Love

and we also have 5 originals. Any suggestions, based on what were already playing, for other songs we could do?

2. I take it "Lose Your Love" is the token corny '80s pop hit cover song.

I don't know...your list isn't bad...but if you're doing only a few songs like that, it's probably not good to have it dominated by two bands. Otherwise you'll be known as "the band that covers Our Lady Peace."

3. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    as long as you feel your target audience will know the songs. it's a cool list, but imo it is best to strike a balance between conviction and pandering. but you still need to play the songs you like. peace, jeff

4. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Nice selection.

To maybe consider:

Third Eye Blind - Good Man
    Third Eye Blind - Crystal Baller
    Toad The Wet Sprocket - Crazy Life
    Crash Test Dummies - Afternoons & Coffeespoons

5. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I tend to agree with invader. With the limited number of tunes you will be doing, I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to do it without covering any band more than once. Think about it. Aside from your originals, out of 7 covers, 2 songs equals over 28% of the list. If you do that twice, a full 57% of your cover list is by 2 bands. It is still 33% even if you add your 5 originals into it. Thats over 16% of one band and 16% of another. I don't think even with a big set list any band should be covered any more than 10% and thats pushin' it. So if you replaced the 2 bands covered twice, you would reduce that number to a little more than 8% of any covered band out of 12 tunes (aside from the 41.6% of tunes which are your originals). Hmmmmm. You'd think I like using percentages :D

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    They sound fine to me. I feel like you should be asking the rest of your band before you ask us, but I am honored nonetheless.

7. gregelka

gregelka

Apr 25, 2006
    Topeka, KS
    no we've talked it over i just wanted to hear what you guys had to say

8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I didn't know Our Lady Peace had an audience outside of Canada.

9. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Smallmouth, they've got a sort-or "big cult" following down here. They were one of my favorites in high school and my drummer lists 'em pretty high. I've met quite a few fans of 'em here in Northern California.

And I'm another vote for varying up the bands your covering.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Actually, the song is called "Your Love" and my last band before my current one covered it, and it goes over well!

12. how often do you guys practice? I started a cover band 3 months ago, and this is what we can play, so far. Hopefully in another three months we will be up to 100 songs. If all you have is 10 songs, you need to try and accelerate a little faster

Outshined- Soungarden*
    Man in the Box- Alice in Chains*
    Bittersweet- Fuel*
    Where the River Flows- Collective Soul*
    Machinehead- Bush*
    Fly Me- Drivin and Cryin*
    Cumbersome- Seven Mary Three*
    Love Song(metal style)- Cure*
    MoonBaby- Godsmack*
    Sex Type Thing- STP*
    Hooker With A Penis-Tool
    Show me how to live- Audioslave*
    Crawling in the Dark - Hoobastank
    Lakini's Juice-Live
    Star Seed- Our Lady Peace
    Stars- Hum
    Open up Your eyes- Tonic
    Your Mouth- Bush
    Hey Man Nice Shot - Filter*
    Mud Shovel- Staind*
    Stupify- Disturbed
    She sells sanctuary- Cult
    Wicked Game-HIM (remake of chris isakk)
    Save Yourself-Stabing Westward
    Graduate-Third Eye Blind
    Control-Puddle of Mudd
    Hash Pipe-Weezer
    Blister in The Sun-Violent Femmes
    Possum Kingdom-Toadies
    Trippin on a paper heart-STP
    Blue Monday-Orgy
    Crazy Train-Ozzy
    Straight out of Line-Godsmack
    GirlsGirlsGirls-Motley Crue
    Good-Ezra
    Rebel Yell-Billy Idol
    Mr. Brightside-The Killers
    State of Love and Trust-Pearl Jam
    Pour some sugar on me-Def LEppard
    Head Like a Hole-NIN
    More human than human-White Zombie
    Fly-Foo Fighters
    Evenflow-Pearl Jam
    Broken-12 stones
    Numb-Linkin Park
    Whats the frequency kenneth- REM
    Rooster-Alice in chains
    Headstrong_Trapt

13. gregelka

gregelka

Apr 25, 2006
    Topeka, KS
    WOW haha yeah our drummer never shows up and we have finals coming up so its a little bit hard, those weren't the only songs we can play but those are the ones were actually practicing for shows and stuff. Plus our band isn't a cover band and since the band is new we're trying to come up with originals for a cd for a demo

14. munificent

munificent

Mar 15, 2005
    Why? Is it a race?

15. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    I know like well you may have 100 songs but who wants that, you wont be able to keep practicing your houndred so you will be weak in songs. What i do is just get a set list of about 30 you can be red hot on and maybe some others that you know and can learn if wanting to. But if you have 10 then thats fine for the majority of gigs really, and learn at a steady pace to get it to 20 while still practicing the ones before the new ones.

16. sorry, i should have asked what type of venues your band wanted to play. We do frat parties, bars, and the like playing 3-4 hour sets. So, having a big list of songs is important to us.
    We are a driven band who doesn't mess around. So, for us to learn 40-50 songs in a 3 month period was what we wanted. We don't want to be an opening band playing only 10 songs. We want to be the band that the crowd came to see.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo, its not a race. Diff. bands have diff. mindsets. Sorry to try and categorize yours with ours. My bad.

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Great setlist!!!

That's very similar to the type of stuff my band covers, and we've been pretty successful with it. We don't cover all of those exact songs, but it's in a similar vein. Some people call us a "party band," which I never got. Aside from two Eminem covers and the token Jenny 867-5309, we're pretty much a rock band. We do a lot of the mainstream modern rock from poppy stuff like Blink-182 and Weezer to the heavier stuff like Godsmack and Disturbed. Then we have a selection of 80's hair metal stuff like Bon Jovi, Ozzy (our guitarist nails Randy Rhodes to a T), Poison, and we even do a Motley Crue medley.

Man, I'm going to gig where you gig. Here, if you don't play at least three hours, the club owners not going to pay you. :D

18. munificent

munificent

Mar 15, 2005
    No, it's my bad. I never considered the perspective of covers-only bands. My band is originals, so I guess I assume most bands are too.

Forgive me for being rude, but do cover bands often headline with other bands opening? I though they were more of a "only band for the night" kind of thing.

19. It really depends. Sometimes a cover band will play the whole night, but a lot of times a cover band will do one set of about 14 songs to "warm" up the crowd for the headlining band who might do only originals. It just depends.