our covers

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cossie, Jun 3, 2005.

1. cossie

Apr 29, 2005

my band - No Quarter - finally got the collective finger out and recorded 3 tracks, covers, for getting us some more gigs.

its all self recorded, and our guitar player mixed it in his own shed!

i'm currently hosting them on my own site, but i'm working on our band website, if you have the time, check them out, please!

the covers are:

"Here I Go Again (On My Own)" - Whitesnake

"Don't Believe A Word" - Thin Lizzy

"Highway To Hell" - need i say who this is by? :p

they aren't very big files at all, i think the largest is 1.7MB.
  2. oldtao

Jun 5, 2005
    i'm listerning.

there are many noise in your music
  3. cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    eh...what do you mean by 'many noise' ?
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Sounds pretty good actually, both production and playing wise..
    Well, I don't know about the AcDc song, the music is fine, but I think the singer should be screaming :smug: Now he sounds like Justin Hawkings but an octave lower...maybe the wrong song for your band to cover.

The only thing that I find awkward is that you record a demo with covers..why no self-written songs?
  5. I agree with all of that EXCEPT:

There is no point recording a demo of "self written songs" (thanks for not using the word "originals" by the way - generally a lie IMHO ;) ) when you are a covers band and the purpose of the demo is to get you gigs!!

I do think you should stay well away from AC/DC stuff. Your vocalist, with great respect, sounds like a teenage girl on the intro to Highway To Hell. :meh: :meh:

Alternatively, you could put him on a diet of 40 Camels and 2 bottles of JD per day for a couple of weeks. That should do it. :D :D
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Ah ok, I missed the part about being a coverband. Nice job anyway, but stay away from Ac/Dc ;)
  7. cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Thanks a million for the feedback, really appreciate it! :)

We tend to leave the AcDc songs until almost the end of our set when our singer is fully warmed up - the other AcDc song we do is Whole Lotta Rosie (but our drummer sings that)

when we recorded the demo our singer wasn't really in the best shape, and we were pushed for time in the studio so its the best we could do - but i think the 40 Camels and 2 bottles of whiskey for a few weeks is an interesting idea ;)

we recorded a few other songs - Can't Stop, Givin' Up (by the Darkness) and Free Falling if i remember correctly - but they were the best of the bunch.