Our Crap Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wadge, Jul 30, 2004.

1. In this site we (rightly so) rave about the great instruments we have and love - I know I love most of mine. But most of us have had, at some time or another, some basses which were poor or really sucked.

I got my first bass from my cousin - it had a P-bass body and an esp neck - a match made in hell as well as active circutry devised by an amateur lunatic. I once stripped it from the paint to have it re-sprayed and discovered the body was full of holes and grooves filled with 'Hard Metal Putty!!!!'.

Was going to sell it one day but the guy tried to haggle with me and I decided not to sell. For some reason, I suddenly did not want to part with it - sentimental me.

Anyone out there remember or still have their crap basses
  2. My terrible bass was one I got at a Lafayette Radio store in Devil's Lake, ND (is there a connection there?) It was a short scale Jazz crappy copy. First I took the pickup covers off and discovered they were really cheap soapbars. Then the tuners broke so I got some new ones. Then I didn't like the sunburst finish so I painted it black. Then I put a real neck on it. Then I got straplocks. Then I thought it would be cool to have brass hardware on it, but all I could find was a neck plate, knobs and a string tree. Then I put a new bridge on it that had a barrel for each string instead of only two. Then I routed it for a p-bass pickup. By now the original parts are the body ( a lauan plywood thing), and the control plate. It never did sound good, but a few guys that played it said the action was great. I finally parted it out and now it's gone.:bawl:

Sorry for the ramble, I just think it's interesting how things evolve.

3. orzo20

Jul 26, 2004
    The crappiest bass I've EVER bought was a Brice fretless HXB 6 string from rondomusic. Everything was wrong, color match, fretboard, glue residue, string spacing, $315.00 cost me that piece of s@#t.
  4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Really? I have one (the bubinga model), and it is a really nice bass for the price. I guess there are always lemons...
  5. Without a doubt my long gone 1969 EB-0. Mud, mud and more mud with a bad case of neck dive.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Worst bass ive had (still have) is just my Essex fretless. Only thing wrong with it is one deadspot on the neck, so its not a bad bass, its just, my worst.
  7. vcat

Jun 2, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    I think my first bass (10 years ago) was almost impossible to beat in crapiness. It was made by some company/individual with extremely wicked sence of humour and enormous talent for screwing up. It was made in Italy, short scale (I had no idea about lenghts/types of scales when I bought it), and pickups that were generating some sort of bass frequences, but mudiness was so abundant that everything dissapeared into it as if it was a black hole. The neck was thick like a log, but frework was so crapy, that you could not play abve 12th fret (I kid you not) you could fret the 14th fret, pick the string and voila... nothing! No sound... Then all pots did not work - there was only one combination of three pots where you could hear a sound. If you moved any of them, the bass would jus go dead. As well after 1.5 years of playing the neck started to fall appart and you would cut your fingers EVERY single time you make a slide... And it weight a ton, like it was made from led. Needles to say I learned a lot about suckiness of some basses but I realized how much it had slowed me down only after I had bought another bass. And yet my first year of playing it I was extremely happy just to own and play a bass guitar - practice, jam etc.

8. motorhall

Jul 1, 2004
    My first, and worst bass was an old Jazz copy. I can't remember the brand name. But then the lesson that I slowly learned over the next few years is that any bass can be awful if it's not the right bass for your sound, so in that regard my other two horrible basses were a Fender Jazz fretless and a Rick 4001.
  9. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    My worst bass would also be my first bass. A MIM Fender Jazz with a neck that is bowed as hell and pickups that make a popping noise whenever I play it. Still, I cannot bring myself to part with it.
  10. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Worst bass I had I light on fire and then smashed into pieces.
  11. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I had a bass once, I can't remember much about it (I was 9 at the time mind you!), it was pretty bad...after getting my 2nd and 3rd basses, I took it out and blew holes in it with my 30-06...
  12. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    Mine had to be a Fender precision lyte. It looked, sounded and felt great but the neck had some serious warping issues
  13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    My first bass guitar was a Washburn Force ABT B-30. It had some things going for it. It was small and had a full 24 frets. The only problem is that it sounded like a$$ - all the notes sounded like they were coming from a wet blanket. Ah, the early days of active electronics on cheap basses.
  14. Ibanez GSR200, looks cheap and had strange overtones (like someone banging on a metal pipe).
  15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Me too, except mine was a 70s EB-O. It sounded good through my little practice amp, but when I plugged it in to my real setup, I was shocked and dismayed at how boomy and muddy it was - even with mids, treble, and presence cranked!

Maybe it'd sound good through say, an old Bassman, but it was horrible with my amp setup.

16. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Gotta love quality control on production basses, my GSR200 sounded great, still does, unless I play it next to my Dingwall hehe. But then again, Id expect a $200 bass to not compare to a $1500 one hehe.
  17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I had an Ibanez a long time ago that had the worst tone I have ever heard still to this day. It had a tinny-hollow sound that just made me cringe. I can't remember the model but it looked sweet :rolleyes:
  18. elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    ok, nowmy crappiest bass was a GREMLIN (yep, that's the brand). It was red with matching headstock, p style, short scale i think. I didnt sound bad, really, but th quality.. Every time i changed strings, there were little pieces of the nut that broke off. The chrome knobs were actually plastic. Sold it for around 50 bucks.
  19. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I took the liberty of editing a couple sinppets out and what's left above pretty much describes a bass I had a few years ago. I wanted a cheap telecaster bass to fiddle around with and this is what I got. It's long gone now.
  20. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    In college I bought a black Lotus P-bass (my 1st bass). It was a P.O.S. made out of plywood and with the saddles lowered all the way down, I could get no lower than about 3/8" string hight off the bottom frets (nice action). What a rip-off. The company's out of business now I presume.