1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

our cup runneth over with neodymium

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smarvelous, Mar 26, 2013.

1. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
  2. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Neodymium is pretty neat stuff, but the reality is that mining it is quite devastating to the environment. The ability for us to have lightweight drivers comes at a pretty high cost. If Japan starts mining rare earth elements earth from off shore, it's a pretty safe bet that they won't do it showing the utmost in care and respect for our oceans. Something for people to think about when discussing the future of neo.

3. A few feet below the seabed but in some very deep water. They make it sound like they can get the ore out without marine environmental catastrophy, yeah right.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The big hurdle is winning the metal from the ore and getting rid of the other metals that are typically mixed with neodymium, such as thorium. This would all be done on land. I would not be surprised if they exported the ore rather than trying to refine it in Japan.

5. North Korea will soon invade and overtake Japan. Then North Korea's great dear leader, Fatboy, will determine the cost of Neodymium drivers.

6. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    The Fukushima reactor in Japan has been spilling radioactive contamination into the ocean for the last 2 years, I can't imagine them caring about potential environmental risks associated with rare earth mining.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're not going to get to go with Dennis Rodman to N. Korea with that crappy attitude, mister!

:D

8. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    We should never support something that has the potential to be so devastating to the environ...what? You're saying I could shave 20 lbs off the weight of a cabinet? I'm all in! Drill baby drill!

9. Wow, I could get my cab to glow without feedback!

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1000 We could also save the environment by not using electricity and electronic devices and staying off of these forums.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Yes! And, stop breathing the air around you; you do realize that it is a very limited resource, especially with all the trees being cut down? :bag:

12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Most resources are limited are you driving an automobile? running heating and cooling in your home or business? unless you have a zero energy footprint I don't understand your posturing?

13. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I want Neo cabs and I don't care how they get them.

14. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Really? That's the sort of attitude that will earn us a one way ticket back to the stone age. I'm all for tech and weight savings etc., but at least I try to make informed choices to lessen the impact I have on the environment. When a company like Baer takes a stance on the right side of environmental protection, it should be supported, not mocked. Support the ethical companies and let the others scramble to change their policies to regain lost market share.

I need a pickup often enough that it would be dumb for me to buy something smaller, but I bought the pickup with the most efficient v8 I could find. Ditto for my boat engine.

15. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    We still use neo magnets, but I do have growing concern over its long term availability and environmental impact. Mining the sea floor is simply not a good solution, IMO. Have you ever seen any area mined without it devastating the environment? My guess is that neodymium will have a limited lifespan, due to cost, when it comes to speaker magnets.

16. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    There are greater concerns. With the recent radiation contamination, and dredging up secrets that have been hidden below the ocean floor for untold eons...

godzilla.

17. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    what about all the trees that are getting cut down to make these stupid instruments for us to twang on all day? we need to stop buying basses people! stop the insanity! one bass per person, and only certain types of wood please. anything more than 4 strings should be illegal! too much wood content per person! as a matter of fact i want to pass legislation to limit basses to 3 strings for our own protection! if you cant say it with 3 strings then you need to practice more!

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Um, many woods ARE protected.

19. SirMjac28

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I understand the truck purchase but a boat? the most evasive thing on the water? I know you didn't need a boat but you wanted one right? I believe in supporting the environment but I also like pointing out while you are waving the" save the the environment flag" you are not doing all you can to make an impact just like some celebrity that wants to save the whales but has no problem eating $2000.00 a pound caviar and destroying all of those fish eggs.

20. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

Here's where Neodymium comes from now....

Not so pretty

The Japanese option sounds interesting to me.

Russ