Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Our dear Mark Hoppus bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nilmar, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Nilmar

Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    Mark Hoppus Bass got cool looks, IMHO. He used to write interesting basslines but it keep get simpler and simpler, more uninteresting. During the day of cheshire cat and dude ranch, there are to me one of the coolest punk basslines. But in enema and take off... they cannot be heard anymore.

The bass solo in ANTHEM PART 2 consist of only 3 notes...

The latest album really disappoint me alot... I used to look up to him a lot. Now there's a decrease.... i started to notice fat mike of NOFX, the songs " 180 degrees", "all outta angst" to me, have really cool basslines. "180 degress" basslines sounds like Carribean pirates songs.

Anyone have any opinions about mark?

The music industry are degrading. Bass are becoming less and less popular, some even look down on it. The reason why i was still listening to punk rock is that it have basslines that i enjoy a lot. THE IDIOTS ARE TAKING OVER

PEOPLE NOWADAYS THINK THAT MAKING MUSIC NO ONE EVER HEARD IS REALLY ABSURD.

2. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    faith no more.

3. Man, I totally agree with you, Why do we always have people looking down on us as bassist, Oh were only the backbone of the band! Geez, It really annoys me when all people think bass is is someone plucking whole notes. Bah! But I agree with you also on that Blink-182 stuff, There were the good days, but now its mostly crap.

4. MortWP

MortWP

Jun 5, 2004
    If you like Fat Mike, I think he plays the bass in "Me First and the Gimme Gimmes" (a rock-classics-punk-cover band, IMHO very interesting to listen).

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I love the smell of irony in the morning.

6. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    +1 :p

7. Personally, I would have asked this in the "Bassists" forum.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ditto.

9. ding ding ding we have a winner

10. i take mine with a pinch of sarcasm

11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    To be honest....i'd be embarrased to play anything any member of blink 182 plays.

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Aside from carousel blink 182 $ux. If you think that bassis are becoming some kind of mucus you should hear some of the newest Less Than Jake's albums ("Athem" and "boulder and boundaries" are cool CD's) I completly lost my mind when I hear the bass player, Roger, playing the bass and singing, because the bass lines he creates are pretty hard to play it requires a lot of concentration to keep the rithm, he's a pick player, a great ska player.

13. + another one
    I'm so glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that.

14. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Travis Barker the drummer is good though. IMHO the real talent in that band.

I do remember reading an interview with Blink 182 and Tom DeLong commented that they (Delong & Hoppus) aren't very good with their instruments and that the" record company hires studio guys that play better than they ever will" to play during some of the recording sessions. I have never heard anyone in Blink 182 boast about how good they are. In fact they kind of make fun of themselves.

I am sure they laugh all the way to bank.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Travis is the best modern drummer.

16. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Neil Peart :p... He's modern!... sort of.

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You see, i KNEW someone was going to come up with neil pert. they always do when i say travis is the best.

well, all i can say is that in my opinion, travis is a whole load better than neil pert, but we will probably have to agree to disagree :)

18. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Donati Anybody? as in Virgil, as in :eek: I dunno if you consider it modern but Planet X,s stuff sure isn'6t primitive or vintage or anything...

19. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Ah, yes, the good old days, so long ago when we all lived in the trees and Blink 182 was good.

20. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Danny Carey, Thomas Lang, Joey Jordison, Jon Theodore, Mike Portnoy, Josh Freese, Dennis Chambers, Carter Beauford, Virgil Donati, Mike Mangini. All modern drummers, all own Travis. (this could be a lot bigger list...I'm just lazy)