Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Our first gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by steve-o, Jan 5, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    we were supposed to play at a music store on a saturday.
    around 3:30 he tells us. ok cool.
    well when we get there a week later to play.
    he tells us that it is 4:00 to 4:30. first not enough time to play are setlist. thats okay we can work around that. we will just start earlier right? no. everyone thinks it is at 4:00. so nobody will be there till then if not later.
    then he tells us that we have to use the drum set that is on the stage.
    it is a beat to hell pearl. out of tune. it sounds crappy and are drums is a big part of our sound.
    he won't negotiate. he has his band coming over tomorrow and he doesn't want to have it to put it back up. so we tell him we will put it back up for him after wards. nope. he has to leave straght after.

so then are drummer won't even go back inside!
    and nobody is there do to time changes that we didn't know about.
    so we toke everyone that was there to see us to my house and we just played in my garage.
    everyone loved it!

but were we wrong for not playing?
    we were the only band playing and it wasn't paying.
    but we do have gigs every week in jan. so

steve

2. that dude sounds like a royal a-hole. screw him.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    O-U-R
    That is how you spell that three letter word.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I just realized I have become a grumpy old fart. This thread made me want to shoot myself.

5. Unless you're a pirate, in which case it'd be ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

okay okay, I'll go to bed.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    sorry about that. usually i don't have a problem with grammar.
    but that is what no sleep does to you.
    i am going to bed.

steve

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

*fixed is for you, and the thread title

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    OK...now I'm feeling less grumpy, and the urge to shoot myself has passed.

Steve, to me its all about professionalism. I'll be the first to say that the guy giving you the gig sounds like an idiot. However, you should keep your word, regardless if he is an unreasonable idiot or not. It would not have hurt too bad to play the gig under his rules. The last thing your band wants is a reputation for being difficult to deal with. If the guy is a music store owner, you don't want him against you. He comes into contact with a lot of musicians. You apparently knew ahead of time it was a no pay gig, so now is not the time to just blow it off because its a "no pay". I think if you make a commitement, you should honor it. Next time, you will know about making arrangements ahead of time, i.e., set up times, firm gig times,
    equipment, etc.

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the thing is that i am friends with him, business wise. and we agreed on a time and we even double checked it two days later but he changed it on us and didn't tell us.
    i don't know how you would feel playing a gig with no one there. to only have people show up for it when it was over. and even if we did play it would have been terrible! the drums sounded like crap! and he was dissing the drummer on how he knew nothing about drums, because his set was crap and the kit there cost three times as much and were way better. ??? so are drummer wased pissed about that. but we were still going to play until nobody was there, beacause of wrong times so we packed up then everyone showed up at 4:00 to 4:15. we would have been on are last song by then.
    we didn't see it worth it.

steve

10. No offense but based on my experience, in business, you have no friends.

Edit: I just tried re-reading your post so I could add something constructive...I can't understand what you are saying.

Your band agreed to play at 3:30 but was bumped to 4:00. Everyone knew you would be playing at 4:00. But you were going to play until nobody was there?

It may sound like we're picking on you but really, we're not. Your post doesn't make any sense - regardless of your state of sleep.

11. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hehe. He did it again.

ARE is not the same as OUR.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Steve...I (and probably almost everyone else here) have played to almost empty rooms. You do it because you agreed to. Its called professionalism.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or come down on you, but it sounds like you are trying to come up with excuses to justify your drummers temper tantrum.

Bottom line is, if you agree to do a gig, you do it. Regardless if the drums don't sound perfect, regardless if no one is there.

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well the thing that pissed us of the most is that he changed the time on us and didn't tell us until the day of the show, and he said he had to leave at 4:30. so a 4:00 to a 4:15 show? with no one there?
    would you play there?

steve

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    would you play a gig with a untuned bass that was held together with duck tape?

15. bassyamaha5

bassyamaha5

Sep 4, 2002
    Hanover, MA
    I would have to agree with the professionalism side here, last Fri. night it happened to me, we were opening for another band, no pay, it was raining ice and snow all night, 6 inch deep puddles in the parking lot, the headlining band showed up last minute to set up...we were soaked from carrying stuff in cold tired...nobody was there, but we still played our set without any moaning or crying...and ended up getting a little thank you money from the bar for showing up, and doing what we agreed to.
    just my two cents

16. would you ever like to play there again?

17. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    no not really.
    he was really happy that we didn't play actually.
    and no he really doesn't have bands play there.
    and ya we were actually asked to come back and play again for the circumstances.
    so it is all right. and next time we will make sure that everything is fine.

thanks
    steve

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is very true. However, our band has what we call the "band:audience ratio rule". If and whenever the band:audience ratio exceeds unity, we're done, with full pay. Try it. You'll like it.

19. "i don't know how you would feel playing a gig with no one there."

Mopar: Gigs (paying or not, audience or not,) are privledges in themselves. They don't always go smoothly and they don't always go as promised but the important thing is that they keep coming. A gig is a gig, regardless of what you think about the conditions, the people, and the agreement.

You will learn to haggle a little better next time and you will have better gigs; but for the sake of pete.......do not go back on what you agreed to do. With you starting out your going to need to start out good and a bad reputation is going to shoot you in the foot early off. Professionalism is a must.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that Professionalism is not important or that the amount of money the band makes affects how much is dished out. (I've fought that argument many times before.)

Munji: Explain to me a little more about your audience to band ratio.....it sounds interesting and I was wondering about the specifics. What goes on exactly, what goes into it?

-insighted

20. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    thank you for all of your insight.
    we have had are second gig and everything is going great!!!
    we are trying to book a big show right now.
    we have gigs every week for 2 months!
    paying i might add.
    we are trying to book at the house of blues right now
    already have bands setup to play if i can set it up. a couple of bands have played there and are big locally so this will help.
    we have a connection with a pretty known ska band. they have opened up for every big ska act including the mighty mighty bostones, reel big fish, and the toasters, and more
    have played warped tour for 4 years straight. so this should be a good contact.
    thanks again

steve