1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Our Greatest American Poet

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by buzzbass, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    As if I hadn't noticed, as if I didn't know my own bed....

Gotta love Graceland, it's an amazing song!

I particaularly like

"To prove that I love you because I believe in you,
    summer skies, the stars are falling
    all along the injured coast

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I've always been a Paul Simon fan (my mom used to play him fairly often when I was a kid and Graceland was one of the first CDs I ever bought) but I wouldn't call him one of America's greatest poets. There's a lot of beauty in his writing but generally not a lot of substance.

Surprised Bob Dylan hasn't been mentioned in this thread. He's always struck me as a songwriter masquerading as a poet. Leonard Cohen always seemed to be the exact opposite.

That said, no love for Robert Blake? Or Langston Hughes? Or even more modern poets like Pinsky?

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Are we talking about literary American poetry or about living songwriters? In the latter case, I'd put Dylan, Van Vliet and Peter Blegvad above the rest. Cohen and Lou Reed, yes, for a few lyrics. And if dead songwriters count, Cole Porter and Ray Evans. Astounding stuff.

I'm not sure what the OP's purpose was. The Nuge? Our Greatest American Poet? It must have been a joke. I'd prefer Iggy Pop. Now, if we're getting into the ages, I suspect this thread will fizzle out soon, unfortunately. But I still stand by Walt Whitman.

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I think so too, but a cynical friend of mine says it's the dumbest popular song of the last 100 years :crying: .

Apparently true story: Willie Nelson is covering "Graceland" with PS in the control room. Willie sings: "The Mississippi delta was shining like a natural guitar". PS: "Willie, it's 'National' guitar". WN: "Uh, but that's a guitar brand". PS: "Yeah, it is."

5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I can't believe some of you thought I was serious. My god, you guys need to get out more

6. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Well, considering that some people actually respect his political beliefs, I thought there might be people out there that appreciated his lyrics too. ;)

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Either Bukowski or Bob Dylan.

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Next time you type a sarcastic post use one of these: :rolleyes:

Unless it's reeeeeeeealy obvious.

9. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I was driving with my 14 year old daughter in the car yesterday and I had a Simon and Garfunkel CD on. She usually complains about my music and begs to play her own stuff but this time she listened to several songs and then said, "Dad, I really like this. The music is pretty good for 'old geezer music' and the lyrics are really amazing." :p

10. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Some of my favorite Paul Simon lyrics are in "America", "Slip Slidin' Away", "Hearts and Bones" and "Patterns".

What's funny to me about the song "Graceland" is that I agree that the lyrics quoted from it are among some of his best, I remember an interview with him from a few years back where he said the lines from the next verse make him cringe and are among the only lines he'd ever written that he wished he could take back.

"And my traveling companions
    Are ghosts and empty sockets
    I'm looking at ghosts and empties,"

11. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    So anyway, back to ted...

'It's a Maserati, a Maserati, a Masereati, Maserati..."

and then

'Gonna rub a little talcum, gonna borrow it from Malcom..."

I'm sorry, bukowski never went this far. Now about that garage...

12. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    As long as we're talking about Paul Simon: "The Boy in the Bubble" is one of his best. "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" is another. The "Boxer", "Sounds of Silence", "I Am a Rock", "Troubled Water" stuff I can't take at all. Sooo precious. "America" has these good lines:

"Kathy," I said, as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh,
    "Michigan seems like a dream to me now.
    "

But Joni Mitchell did the personal thing much better, IMO.

13. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    America - Paul Simon

Let us be lovers we'll marry our fortunes together."
    "I've got some real estate here in my bag."
    So we bought a pack of cigarettes and Mrs. Wagner pies
    And we walked off to look for America.
    "Kathy," I said as we boarded a Greyhound in Pittsburgh
    "Michigan seems like a dream to me now
    It took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw
    I've come to look for America."

Laughing on the bus;
    Playing games with the faces;
    She said the man in the gabardine suit was a spy;
    I said "Be careful his bowtie is really a camera."

"Toss me a cigarette, I think there's one in my raincoat."
    "We smoked the last one an hour ago."
    So I looked at the scenery, she read her magazine
    And the moon rose over an open field.

"Kathy, I'm lost," I said, though I knew she was sleeping.
    "I'm empty and aching and I don't know why."
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike:
    They've all come to look for America
    All come to look for America
    All come to look for America

The best lyrics put you there in the song.

My band covers this http://quagmire.us/

14. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I like Paul Simon. He's a great writer. I've got no beef with that. He's at an advantage over Bob Dylan because he can actually sing well too. But I think Dylan's writing is just amazing. Robert Hunter (the dude that wrote all of the Grateful Dead's lyrics) is amazing too. No one nails the struggle of life better than Bukowski though.

15. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I just got done skinning the polar bear I shot with my MP-4 in the bomb shelter I built for when those darn commies take over the country and I've got to have some safe place to be able to read my stash of Outdoorsman Magazines and drink vitamin enriched spring water...and I even realized he was joking.

However, I stand by my statement regarding Ice. Word to Walt Whitman's mother.

16. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Not in my book. Simon's a conventional pitcher, Dylan is an unconventional swinger. His phrasing is even better than Sinatra's.

17. hbarcat

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    That's the fourth reference to Bukowski I've seen in the last week. I suppose I should read some of his stuff if I want to be with the "in" crowd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Bukowski

But I'm guessing he couldn't sing.

18. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I got that it was a joke, but since this thread has taken a lateral turn, I'll go for the legit, and offer up one who I regard as an AMAZING American poet, and she just happens to be one of the best and baddest funk bassists on the planet:

Meshell Ndegeocello

19. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'll throw in Van Morrison's work on Astral Weeks, Elvis Costello, Adam Duritz on "August and Everything After", Michael Stipe and Mike Patton when he feels like it.

20. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Astral Works is my favorite Van Morrison album for sure. Tom Waits also has some great lyrics too.