1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Our guitar player is quitting the band

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by REV, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    Our guitar player called to say he's quitting the band. When I asked why he said, " I like to get up early on weekends to go to yard sales to look for old records and it's hard to get up early after playing the night before." He's really serious about this. I couldn't talk him out of it.

BBQisgood likes this.
  2. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Robroy, Stumbo and Aberdumbie like this.
  3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Congratulations!

4. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    That sounds like a pretty weak excuse.
    I'd imagine there's more to it than that, but if he chooses to use that as his reason then that's his right, I guess.
    Hope you find a decent replacement soon!

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Everybody has priorities. I see no reason for him to abandon his, or for you to abandon yours.

AdamR, Joedog, bolophonic and 8 others like this.
  6. Maybe you can find a new guitar player at a garage sale?

7. 2BitHack

2BitHack

Nov 11, 2014
    AZ
    This is what happens when you dont fire the drummer.

8. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    What does he do in the winter months?

9. Das Jugghead

Das Jugghead

Oct 28, 2015
    Indiana
    Go see the guitarist's new band and fling old disco records you bought at yard sales at him using a skeet launching machine.

10. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    He listens to the old records that he bought at yard sales....:rolleyes:

CB3UK, comatosedragon, AdamR and 10 others like this.
  11. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Twenty five years ago, I quit to raise kids and chase striped bass. I'm back now. Perhaps he will have a change of heart in ten, fifteen, maybe twenty years and he will come back to your band.

12. Ebay is open 24/7....

Helix likes this.

13. Personally i prefer my basses in solid colours but each to their own....

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. 2112

Apr 30, 2005
    So you start looking for a new guitarist. Ain't no one that ain't expendable... :-D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Stumbo and Garret Graves like this.
  15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I think you may be overlooking an opportunity here. With bar gigs drying up and musicians making less these days maybe it's time to explore the local yard sale gig circuit.

Picture it. Lots of grannies and young suburban couples with cash to spare and homeowners who need to draw a crowd to browse and sell their junk.

16. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Blackmail him into staying,

anyway, guitarists are a dime a dozen.
    Just like waiting for the next bus..

Frank77 and Amano like this.
  17. JeffG667

JeffG667 NO SANDALS OR CARGO SHORTS ONSTAGE..EVER!! Supporting Member

Amen to gumtown. I was always in original bands before i started my current project which is now on it's 8th financially viable year! (It's my main income source). I took it really REALLY personally when someone bailed on the cover gig. I was not used to that kind of "take it or leave it....whatever" attitude. Every new replacement has been absolutely for the best! Hang tough. THE guy is out there.

The Deep End and Das Jugghead like this.
  18. Sounds like a fine reason. I was getting tired of being in a band that rehearsed Saturday nights because Sunday was my one family day in the week. Sometimes the thing you once prioritised just isn't top of the list any more.

kesslari, Phud and gjohnson441496 like this.
  19. J Wilson

J Wilson

Feb 18, 2017
    none
    OK, Fine. Get another guitar player.

I also think it's a given reason instead of what really drove him to pull the Eject handle, but it really doesn't matter. Better that than some screaming hissy argument.

But . . . . . I also love flea markets and yard sales (though I doubt I'd quit a hot band over it), and another flea market regular? Leland Sklar, a big nut for these things !

20. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    The same thing happened to me late last year. The reason was "I've got other things going on besides music". Shocked me after ten years playing together. He said he wouldn't mind jamming once a month or so with an occasional gig but didn't want to commit to playing every weekend. Fortunately another lead player I've known for years was available and excited to join us. It's worked out great, almost like a new band.

If the rest of your band is into what you're doing then look for a replacement. Things have a way of working out. :thumbsup:

Phud likes this.