Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Our new band...god I'm nervous! Please read!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by HappyMikey, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Allright here's the deal.

I've been playing my Essex BG-205 since June.

I suck.

A friend of mine (guitarist-Mark) wanted to start a band ever since I got my bass with his other friend who's also a guitarist,Peter.

Peter seems to be a highly disorganized person who doesn't care about music,he missed dozens of jamming sessions without calling ahead and such...so we said screw him,we'll find another guitarist,since around here everyone single soul plays guitar.

But with that aside we still need a drummer....and never had any luck finding one.I always thought as the drummer to be one of the most important people in the band...but Mark thought it was the vocals and there was no convincing him otherwise,regardless,we can't sign either.So we turned to the internet classifieds...and I mean I couldn't find a single drummer. I couldn't find ANY musicians close to our homes...but in the 100 mile radius we found another guitarist...and he had msn so without thinking I just added him.

And today he's online and we started talking,he's a guitarist,sure he's far,but he can sing,he's been playing for 5 years,he's our age (16) and this friday he's meeting with a producer. He has a hookup downtown,where we can use a fully equipped studio (mixers,amps,drum sets,instruments,recording ourselves live) all for 15 bucks an hour,and split that by 4 and it's a sweet deal. He also has a few friends who play the drums.

We talked on the phone for a little while and decided that we're gonna meet this Saturday...I told him that I've only been playing 4 months,and he said he'd be willing to give anyone a shot.

Oh and he said he could do vocals in our band too.

So hell I'm nervous...he seems like a great guy but I think I'll suck too much for him to like me.

I've been playing 4 months,and like all I can play is Fur Elise by Beethoven,Iron Man by Ozzy,Nirvana Teen Spirit,EMinor Pentonic Scale,a song I wrote myself,and a few random riffs I wrote myself,and a song Mark wrote.

He said his major influences were Skidrow,Iron Maiden & Creed so we'll get along really well...

Anywho,you guys wouldn't happen to have some advice for good ol' Mikey now would ya?

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    He started playing when he was one? :meh:

Invest in a drum machine, or at least a metronome, to help you develop a strong sense of time. Also, consider getting a teacher.

Just have fun if you make it to the studio, that's a very good deal so just go for it!

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I don't buy that either, unless he's counting toy guitars. If that's the case, he may be inflating other things as well.

There's plenty of talkers and jokers out there, so I wouldn't worry too much. Anyway, just chill and what is meant to be will be. Practice and then play your best, that's all you can do.

4. 5*** years,lol,sorry it's a typo.And I've had a teacher ever since I got my bass.:)

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He's 63 years old, and he's trolling the internet for 16-year-old boys. Be careful.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    You can't find any drummers in Montreal?!

Aren't there any at your school? That would be my suggestion as the best place to look. Go and talk to the music teacher - with luck they'll be willing to help.

Jamming with people you meet over the net is a sketchy idea. As Munji implied (subtly as usual ;) ) for your own safety you should meet them in a public place first, just to make sure they are who they say.

Hope this helps!

7. but you gotta pick up my gas costs to canada :D

just be excited that you're going to get together with people and play. he may be good, he may be bad. you can learn from either situation. as you improve, you'll be more confident and be able to make the band stronger.

record everything you do, whether you make it to the studio or not.

enjoy!
    m

8. I played for 6 months and then joined a friend's friend's band. I didn't even know my fret board that well. Since I started playing with them I just grew and grew! Learn from others. I feel it's the best way to learn. Join him (after meeting him and his not a pervert 63 yrs old dude lol :))

Learn from him and if he's as good as he says and a nice guy he'll give you some pointers. The best way to learn is to jam with others! Assuming they have an idea on how to jam. I'm confusing myself! Bye

9. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have to mention that one of the most solid bass players around in my area (Chicago and Memphis blues styles) started out as a guy who knew diddly about playing bass but was willing to learn. From what I know, things went from "OK bass player guy, put your fingers here, then here, then when the song changes, go here" to this dude being able to hold down virtually any group of guys that happen to be playing. I can vouch 'cause I've heard/played with him many times. That said, go into thinking that you're learning, not that you "suck".

Oh yeah, and steer clear of 63 year old internet pervs.

:bassist:
    -RH

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Go for it Bro! I have been playing for 1 year and already gigging. I had my first bass lesson yesterday (10/15). Before that I learned off tab, there are a lot of great sites out there including this one, a metronome and tab is all you will need to get started. Call him and ask if there are any covers that he would like to do. Worse case senerio it don't work out oh well, give it a shot! Good luck PM me if you want any websites for Tab!!

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah go for it as long as you are careful
    for what its worth (a lot) the 2 most important people in a band are the drummer and bass player
    if you guys are happinin, the band stands a chance, if not, oh well
    don't let that scare ya, you don't have to be a groove monster, you just have to learn how to lock in with the drummer and hope to god he has good time

12. HEY! Try playing The bass and treble part for Fur Elise at the same time, Tappingly! THEN YOU'LL BE GOOD.

or try Moonlight sonata, I do that when I want to look special to people.