Our night with Metallica

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by buzzbass, Oct 25, 2004.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Well, I had GA floor seats friday night (down in the mosh pit !?) for Metallica/Godsmack. What a show. The boyz were on. It was the 22nd anniversary of their first concert ever and Jaymz and the boyz did not disappoint. Godsmack was the shizzle as well. Usually I could take or leave Godsmack, but based on seeing them live, I'm now a fan.

Here's the good part of the evening. Took my 8yr old boy JT to see the show, they were GA floor, 1st come, 1st serve. We got there way early and were right up front at the rail, you couldn't be any closer without being on stage. My son was bangin and flashin' the devil sign @ Kirk during a solo. Kirk looks down sees him waves at him and flashes me a thumbs up. :bassist: How cool is that. During the next song he's back in front of us again, reaches up to the mike stand and pulls off a couple of picks. Hands them down to a security guy and points to Josh. The guy gives Josh the picks and Kirk flashes my boy a devil sign. "Awesome" was all I heard from is mouth , he was floored.. Later in the show I got him up on my shoulders and he got a high five from Jaymz. At the end of the show that same security guy reached up and grabbed a set list off the floor, a real gig set list off one of the vocal stations. How cool is that ? At one point in the show we saw the wives and some of the Metalli-kids onstage as well. So it was family night at the metallica show, LOL! It was cool though, they seemed to be very kid focused that night and my boy got the rewards. All in all he wound up with 2 picks from each "guitarist" including Robert, and a gig-used actual set list.

There were some hot chicks around eating it up. OOOOOww how cute, yada yada. One goes, "if you 2 get back stage, I'm his mother". LOL ! what a hoot. I couldn't have had a better night planned for him, it was perfect. It makes me feel good to know that I was able to give him an experience like that. He'll remember last night forever :hyper:
  2. Man, that's very very cool. Congrats on a great nite!
  3. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    With respect to your sig quote. "Surely, you can't be serious." :D
  4. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
  5. I AM serious, and don't call me Shirley.

And yeah yeaaaahhhhh (ala James Hetfield) :D
  6. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Was Robert playing his sig Zon? And oh yea the Bay Area Bashers still throw it down night after night. I am glad your son had a great time! Did they play Creeeping Death?
  7. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    No Creeping Death. But we did get "fight fire w/fire". He only played the sig bass on 2 songs that I saw. Very cool looking, had sort of tattoo looking graphic paint job. Although it sure looked like it had a wooden neck ?! The cool thing was that my kid noticed the Zon logo on the headstock and says to me, "see that Dad, he has a Zon just like your 2". That kid is sharp, he doesn't miss a trick. He's been walking around the house for the last 2 days singing, "searchin'......Seek & Destroy" :D
  8. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    They played 'Fight Fire With Fire'?! Lucky you. I love that song. I think it's really cool that after 23 years of being a band, they still kick ass. No signs of turning down the volume yet! :)

Graeme :bassist:
  9. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    What about OOOOoooooohhhhhhhhh.

Thats awsome man. I'm glad you had a great time, and it seems like a great concert for your boy too.

Thats just so cool. :smug:
  10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    1) getting a pick= cool
    2) getting 2 picks = whoa
    3) getting 2 picks AND a set list= wow..jsut wow
    4) getting a high 5 from hetfield= ....

im jealous of your son. can he give me a pick :D
  11. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    True, I've seen them on every tour in their history except for Ride the Lightning. They were as heavy and fast as I've ever seen them. No lie !
  12. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    I don't know, at this point he'd probably fight you to the death before losing one of those. :p I'm going to get all that stauff mounted & framed along with an autographed pic I have. Sort of like you'd do to sports memorabilia stuff. That way he can hang it on his wall and have it forever.

PS, six picks. He even got 2 from Robert ?! He threw them down at the end of the show as they were all walking around handing out goodies.
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  14. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    WOW! :eek:

That's great!!! How cool of Metallica :cool: . Boy, I didn't think I'd ever use cool and Metallica in the same sentence again.
  15. That's awesome for your boy.

Me and my friend went to last night's show in Hamilton, it was great, my friend caught a pick.
  16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Wow, that's awesome!!!!!!Makes me sad, I should of brought my son. :(

I agree with everything BuzzBass said. They were freaking AWESOME!!!!!! Sooooooo much better then when I saw them last year at Nassau Col.
  17. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    Sweet, good catch.
  18. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    It seems like Robert is now more integrated into the unit. last summer they seemed forced and bit less tight than I've become accustomed to. But it's all good now for sure.
  19. Rob did some weird bass solo at the hamilton show, he did some slap stuff and used both hands to slap the strings making it sound a lot like congo drums. I think if Donkey Kong ever played bass, he'd look like Rob.
  20. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Wow, that's awesome! You're definitely raising your kid right! :bassist: