Our own Marcus Johnson

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by jerry, Jan 3, 2003.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    In next months Vintage Guitar magazine, they gave a Rave review of Tom Conways excellent album with Marcus Johnson killin' on bass! The album is called ' Hot Gypsy Nights", and if you like Django Reinhardt style music.......check this puppie out!
    I just wanted to say congrats Marcus! I love your playing on this album:cool:
  2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Thanks Jerry...check's in the mail.
    That band is renamed, hopefully for the last time...it's now called Gypsy Pacific. It's been mothballed for a few months while assorted members went on tour and so on. We're starting rehearsals again on Thursday, as we've added Phil Benoit on rhythm guitar. Tom has written a whole bunch of new originals for the band, which we hope to record this summer.
  3. Which month is next month and who's on the cover?
  4. To answer my own question, it's the February issue with Randy Bachman on the cover, page 143. (I thought maybe Jerry meant March)

Right on Marcus! After a 9 month stint with The Grassland Quintette (St Charles IL based) I'll be super interested in checking out this CD. Next stop Amazon!

Thanks for the heads-up Jerry.
  5. Hey guys - I've searched Amazon and came up blank with "Hot Gypsy Nights". Has anyone else found this title? I'd like to get it.
  6. Do a music search for Tom Conway. That works. I just ordered it but it looks like it will take 4 to 6 weeks to get it.
    (The downside of the amazin' amazon)
  7. Aha - the search also didn't work because I usually buy from amazon.ca and they don't have it in their catalog, found it on the amazon US home.

Thanks wellspal!
  8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Borders also carries it; do they still have a website?You can also order it from Tropical Disc's site. If you wanna talk to Tom, he's at thcmaui@aol.com.
  9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Okay, I know I'm dangerously close to Spam now, but I just saw Tom, and he informed me that the easiest way to find this CD is on something called cdbaby(?). I've no idea what that is...but Amazon takes forever because they only order one at a time (!) so restocking takes a couple of weeks minimum.
  10. I received mine today (ordered on Jan 3rd) - so tell me, how was everything recorded? Love the tunes, BTW!

Nice job!

- Wil
  11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I don't remember the details of the recording too much; we just miked up the "big room" at Emerald City Studios and went for it. Tom and I recorded rhythm tracks first, since we didn't have a rhythm guitarist yet at that point. The engineer was Eric Helmkamp, who does all of Bob Rock's stuff. Tom and Willy went in afterwards for all the heads and solos. It was really pretty quick, first takes for the most part.
  12. So let's see, that was exactly 3 weeks from Amazin'.

Wow! nice stuff Marcus. Gypsy jazz is sooo enjoyable when done right. This is done right. Great, tight band. Great bass.

Do you need a roadie or anything? String changer, fireplace stoker?
  13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Thanks again...the fireplace pics on the CD liner were taken in my back yard. We just lit up the place with some tiki torches and went for it. C'mon out and toss some mango branches on the fire, I'm guessing you could stand to thaw out a bit (I'm a Cheesehead myself, so I know yer pain).
  14. Marcus,
    Since you won't allow e-mails or PM's, I'm just going to publicly say how I enjoyed hearing Gypsy Pacific (courtesy of Samuel, who forwarded the CD to me). This is a gem. There's a swing feeling to unamped bass/guitar, without drums, that simply cannot be duplicated any other way. You guys just nailed it, totally. Yes, you used an amp (or you were expertly picked up by a mic).
    In the 60's, I was in a bass/guitar duo, no amps, obviously, that was sheer joy. Ask Tom or Phil what they think of old Gibson L-5's. We were doing many Django tunes, the Bossa was just beginning to be heard in the USA, and the guitarist (Eddie Hazell) sang with all the chops of Mel Torme, and as hip as Joe Mooney. One of my happiest gigs. Then Rock and Roll arrived...
    I digress. Wonderful playing by you and everyone else. Be proud of that one.
  15. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I'd like to add that it would be much better to order this disc from CdBaby. Here's the link to Hot Gypsy Nights on CDBaby.com

My band uses this service, which provides an outlet for indie/unsigned bands to sell their music on the 'Net. Usually these guys provide the disc and someone like Amazon will pick up the link. Tower Records.com has ours, but if you order the disc, it actually comes from CDBaby.com, so you'd probably get it faster and maybe cheaper.
  16. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Thanks, guys, it means a lot coming from you. Really enjoyed hearing the sampler; thanks, Sam!
    There will be a Gypsy Pacific site up soon, for those of you who are interested.
    Don, I forgot that I had the PM and Email disabled, I'll go change that.
    P.S.....I think the sampler recording was done with the direct out from my Contra; it was very rushed, so we didn't have much tweaking time...