1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Our singer. *** goes through his mind?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Burlington, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Our band had kicked around some ideas when we first got our van. Paint it camo? Huge band logo on the side? We eventually all agreed on leaving it as is, because contractor-white doesnt say "ROB ME" the same way an obvious band van does.

Our singer brought it up again on Friday, before a gig. All the rest of us say no. "Yea, you're right" he says.

So why is it then on Sunday morning he sends our lead guitar player a picture of the van with our GIANT spray painted logo on the side. We literally JUST TALKED ABOUT IT.

This kid is such a diva he drives me insane. Everything always has to be about him. He insists on stopping on the way to gigs to get a drink or a bag of chips or something stupid. He must always be the center of attention and makes everything more difficult than it needs to be.

So, TB gurus, what do I do about this kid? More importantly, what do we do about our van????????

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Paint it b(l)ack.

3. Rip out his throat.

4. BritPicker

BritPicker

Apr 20, 2009
    He's just wiped a few hundred $$ on your van resale right there! :crying:

You have to all stand up to him. How many of you are there? Are you all scared of him or something?
    :rollno:

In the meantime, get to work with a cloth and graffiti-remover on that van.

Better still, get HIM to do it.
    :D

5. Murph#2

Murph#2

Mar 24, 2010
    murph#2
    Sounds Like a minnie DLR, B***H Slap him.

6. It's an 85 Ford, we're not really worried about resale. The other guys are a little easier going than I am, only the rhythm guitar player and I are actually pissed about it, the 2 others just ticked.

I seem to call out the singer more than everyone else does, and I've tried to be better about being a jerk, and only do it when necessary.

And I have a can of graffti remover ready :)

I guess this wasnt a "what do I do" thread as much as it was a rant....

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Do you also have a can of whoop-ass? Sounds like there's a need.

8. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    these posts are why I quit playing music the first time around :help:
    This kind of crap should not be tolerated. You let him get away with this and he start doing other things like book you for $50 on a gig for his cousin who lives 100 miles away. You need to let him know that he had no right to paint the company van.

9. Paint it black and red. Always a winning combo.

[​IMG]

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Let him know that you're going to have the van professionally repainted and that he is paying for it.
    If it was me, after he paid, he'd be out of the band. But that's just me, and I'm not known for being a very tolerant person.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    IME, remove the paint ASAP. The long it sits the more it sets. Someone sprayed my van once and I used lacquer thinner to get the paint. Use the least amount possible and do a section at a time before washing it. If you let the lacquer thinner set it will soften your paint and create another problem.

IMO, charge your singer for the time it takes to get the paint off. Since your band already discussed a valid reason for keeping the van low profile to prevent robbery, he probably doesn't have much money invested in the equipment.

IME, people don't change unless one acknowledges there is a problem. For your singer, he's passive-aggressive so if there are situations in the future where his preference is voted down, expect more of the same.

Good luck.

12. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Don't bother repainting it...if you you want to make it unappealing to thieves, staple some old green and orange shag carpet to the sides... :D

13. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    sounds like yer typical lead singer type to me..

14. Turns out it's a big decal he had made. I'm still pissed. He even posted pictures of it on Facebook. He's such an idiot.

FML

15. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    goo-gone?

16. timmo97

timmo97

Jan 17, 2009
    Iowa
    That stuff works for lead singers, too?

17. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    +1, Ever hear the term Rat Pack?

18. Is it an adhesive decal or a vinyl cling decal??? If it's the vinyl kind, it can easily be peeled off. If you want to make the van less appealing to thieves, you could always put something like the name, phone number, and slogan of a fictional septic tank service company. I don't think someone would see that and want to break into the van...

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Perfect band van.
    [​IMG]

20. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Pics?