1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Our singer quit today.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by rappa29, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Our singer informed us today that he's quitting. Nothing personal, just said he wasn't having fun anymore.

We've only been together a year, but was just starting to pick up steam since May, getting gigs, playing every weekend.

Bummed out 'cos he was a great front man. Played rythm guitar and had great rapport with the crowds.

Now we have to go through the pain that is finding and auditioning a new singer...getting that person up to speed...rebooking any gigs we lost due to this personnel change...etc...ugh! :mad:

I hate this part of 'the biz'! Especially when you know that the guys you're playing music with are the guys you really enjoy playing music with and all get along and click on stage! :(

On the bright side, we play rock covers so I'm sure there's someone out there that could fill the bill. :)

2. Making money is no fun?!?

3. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    I hear ya. I'm on the verge of leaving mine too, even though we seem to be hitting a stride. Why? The group dynamics, the drama, the bad practice habits, not feeling like I fit in.

It's more than making money. At my age, it HAS to be fun too. I'm not in it for the money - it's just a bonus.

It's a hobby. If it's not "fun", what's the point?

4. ThomasG

ThomasG

Jul 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Play Jazz, then you will never have to worry about a singer.

5. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Or money.....

:bag:

6. Yeah, that's pretty much where we're at. None of us are out to become rockstars or live off of it. We just enjoy playing.

We're not old by any means (mid 30's) but we all have the everyday responsibilities (i.e. day jobs, kids, wives, etc..) and have been fortunate to have had the spare time to rehearse, gig, etc.

Although our singer didn't have a day job, so maybe he was getting ansty and wanted to do more.

Oh well, it's the circle of music life. Just have to keep on keepin' on! :bassist:

Play Jazz, then you will never have to worry about a singer.

I'm not good enough on bass to play Jazz. I'd have to go back to playing keys. I'm enjoying bass too much right now to go back!:bassist:

7. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    fortunately, there seem to be endless opportunities for bass players and I'm too old to stick with a band I'm not enjoying.

singers? If you're good, there are also endless opportunities.

8. Been there, too, unfortunately. It does hurt to lose a good front man. We ended up going back to being a three piece after trying out another front man. It's tough to find anyone decent when you're located in a small town, so we just have our guitarist sing lead vocals.

9. Who says you have to be any good to play jazz? Just play a bunch of notes out of key in weird time signatures... nobody will ever notice.

:bag: