1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Our Story in Two Minutes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gravedigger Dav, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    This is amazing. Done by a 17 year old high school student.
    Notre Histoire

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Holy crap! Brain overload! That's a lot of images to take in so quickly!

Very well done. Even the dramatic pauses at the the Renaissance, Hitler, etc. were perfectly spaced. Nice job.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    A little video game-centric towards the end but yes, very well done. Kind of like a two-minute Koyaanisqatsi.

4. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    History - there's ever such a lot of it.

5. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    A friend posted this on FB:

Photobassist and elgecko like this.
  6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :roflmao:

7. We all die at the end ?!?!?!?!? How about a spoiler alert?

two fingers likes this.
  8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I didn't much care for it. It was not very balanced, and didn't have the impact it could have. For a 17 year old, it was good, but it just seemed to focus very hard on small bits of history, while jumping through large segments. As a History Buff, I found it lacking. You can't possibly do a piece like that without at least touching on WWI, and if you're going to be so America-centric, you can't leave out the Revolutionary and Civil wars. Plus, I have never believed we are going to blow up the planet.

B- but mostly for good editing

placedesjardins likes this.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Man- and to think, all that happened in just 10,000 years.

10. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    There's more history than can fit into two minutes.
    Dude left out WW I and European history from 1800 to 1900, there's so much content on the European medieval times and dude just jumped to the Renaissance era, Marco Polo, Genghis Khan, Korean War, The Alamo, Napolean and his wars, anything and everything with vikings, ninja and samurai, Argentina and Evita Peron, South Africa and apartheid, China and Tiananmen Square, The Great Depression, Battle of the Boyne, Magna Carta, OJ Simpson trial, Wrestlemania, Pele, Jaco Pastorius, and of course, everything about bass guitars, amps, strings, effects, pick-ups and accessories.

11. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Interesting, thanks for posting it. And don't blink, you might miss a hundred years. :p

Not all history though; the first 30 and last 10 seconds are speculation, not history.

I do believe I saw George Washington so it did at least touch on the revolution.

Pretty small mention of JC, arguably the single most impactful individual in history.

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The first 30 seconds are speculation, not history? I think the word you were looking for is "science."

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Totally agree. I kind of filtered it through the eyes of a 17 year old. Honestly, for his age it's pretty impressive. But, yeah, some stuff was missed. Still, good work for a "dumb kid". :wacky:

14. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    No, the word I was looking for is "speculation." Your opinion may differ, and that's ok, but the word "history" was being used in this thread and IMO that word refers to actual documented human events, not a scientific theory.

15. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I agree the content is a bit thin. I was amazed at the work it took to put this together. It is impressive even if not complete.

16. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    If you are talking about the original, it would be closer to 4.6 billion years.

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Hey, at least he got the Beatles.

18. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Right, the important stuff was there.

sissy kathy likes this.
  19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's just crazy talk :D

For anyone who likes this sort of montage, my favorite, although taken from a different approach, is the evolution of man from single-called organism that Carl Sagan did on the original Cosmos series.

20. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I remember that from the original. Watched Cosmos every week. But one thing was left out. Some evolved into drummers.
    th?&id=OIP.M7ce9e3c3cc28604b97e44044a7ab3928o0&w=300&h=225&c=0&pid=1.

Immigrant likes this.