1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Out goes the Bartolini NTMB, In goes the Audere 3ZB

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Marcus, Jun 4, 2007.

1. A few weeks back I noticed some issues with the Bartolini NTMB preamp that was in my Zon Legacy Elite. The first of which being I did not know it was there. For about a year I thought I had a Polyfusion preamp and it was not until I had to replace the 9V that was inside that I saw the Bartolini NTMB sitting there.

A little history with me and Bartolini electronics... specifically their preamps... I really hate them. I really, really do. If I had to describe them in a single word it would "bland." I've owned about 5 basses that have come stock with the Bartolini NTMB and each of them has been since been sold. Bartolini pickups are a little hit and miss for me. I love the Bartolini pickups that Zon uses in their basses, as did I thoroughly enjoy their pickups in a Lakland 5502 I briefly owned, but in basses like the Modulus Quantum, Ibanez BTB/SR I was really disappointed.

That out of the way, the issues I noticed a short-while back with my Zon was that the preamp was literally not working properly. I'm not a big onboard-EQ guy so maybe it was like this for sometime, but the boost simply did not do anything until it was completely turned. I found it odd but thought nothing of it until the battery swap. That's when I saw the Bartolini preamp. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and swapped the battery (I even tried 2 different 9Vs to be certain) and the problem persisted. I took the bass over to a local luthier and he could not diagnose the problem. I called Zon and asked about replacing the preamp with the Polyfusion and they said $150+shipping (there and back mind you). I shook my head and consulted the advice of some TB members before remembering the great service and quality of Audere's preamps. I contacted Dave and placed an order for a 3ZB (configured as follows: Volume, Balance, Stacked Treble/Bass, Passive Tone, Z-mode switch) that he thought would get what I wanted (that being a 2-band with a "VTC" like option and no extraneous holes to be drilled into the bass in case I decide to try other alternatives).

By tomorrow I should have the bass back in my hands to give a full rundown. I'll provide pictures and maybe soundclips by the weekend to demonstrate how the bass sounds.

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021