Out of all the basses you own, how many were pre-owned?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by meowcow, Sep 21, 2016.

1. meowcow

meowcow

Jun 18, 2008
    Scarborough, ON
    I was thinking lately that it'd be nice to be the first one to own a bass. It'd be cool to walk into a store one day and buy a new MIA Fender or something; It's like the history of the instrument is completely unwritten and I'm the first entry. But I also realized that the vast majority of the NBD threads I see concern used instruments. There doesn't really seem to be any good reason to buy a new bass, anyways. So regarding my taste for a new instrument, I'm thinking I might be a weird sort of materialistic. Which is why it interests me as to what condition people get their instruments. Do you guys buy used basses just because they're cheaper and you're essentially getting the same thing as if it were new? Or would you rather be the first one to own an instrument (and why?)?

Bigbri, Ellery and highboltage55 like this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I prefer new, but depending on price point, and condition, used is probably the way to go. Remember, one man's trash is another man's wife... or, something like that.

3. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    Out of all of these basses and every one I've owned before just one was brand new. And that one is the SX six string jazz. I can't pass up a good deal and good deals usually don't apply to new basses. I got most of my basses for either half or even below half of new price and most are in like new condition. I don't mind if its new or used, I just like basses

Attached Files:

eff-clef and EdO. like this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have owned dozens of basses. Only two were new. I bought an early Carvin LB76 right when they came out and I thought 6 string basses were cool. A year and a half later it got stolen and I replaced it with another one. Everything else I bought used. The last half dozen from right here at TB. All of my amps except one are used from here as well. It's a great community to deal with.

Edit to add: That being said, I do have a brand new Hammersmith 5 being made as we speak.

eff-clef likes this.
  5. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Two.

6. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    Big fat ZERO

sub-commandante and Linnin like this.
  7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I only ever bought one new instrument & I returned that one two weeks later

W.Roberts likes this.
  8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Never bought used.

Or online.

I demo it in store, and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Then I buy it. I have no interest in used gear.

matante and growlypants like this.
  9. RedJag

RedJag

Mar 2, 2016
    San Jose, CA
    It's funny. All my guitars were pre owned. All my basses were new. Never thought about that before.

10. Gabbs

Gabbs

May 15, 2010
    Boulder Creek, CA
    I've never built one, so all of mine were pre-owned

jazzyvee likes this.
  11. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    4/7

matante likes this.
  12. Got 6 basses and one I bought brand new, a Fender American Hotrod P bass, and it plays like butter and sounds great. Nothing like a new bass, it was set up perfectly when I got it.

13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Out of the many basses I have, only one was bought second (or third) hand.
    I recently picked up this like new 2001 Ric 4003

image.jpeg image.jpeg

14. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    I've bought bunches new and bunches used. I don't care too much either way, if the bass is right. Out of all those I still own 2. One was new (4001CS) and one was pre-owned but never played by the previous owner (4001v63 sorta-new).

TrevorOfDoom and tangentmusic like this.
  15. Nice looking bass, I have a 79 mapleglo 4001.

16. tangentmusic

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I'd like to see pics of your 4001CS

17. tangentmusic

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Pics?

18. My wife left our Camera at home in Peru, I gotta buy a new one, I also have a mapleglo 85 4003FL which looks almost identical to the 79 except of course for the dots neck, no binding on the neck and the extra two holes in the tailpiece, haha!

19. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    USA
    1/7

20. Jay Mastro

Jay Mastro

Jun 23, 2014
    New York
    ALL. Not ashamed to say it. New basses have never been in my budget, not the ones I wanted at least.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021