1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

out of control, i'm getting MTD gas again

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Apr 17, 2006.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    been a long time, and i was once an extreme MTD fanatic.
    once again, i am craving an MTD. don't really need another fiver, but i'd be willing to give something up. I just feel like i'd like to own something built by a living legend, Mike Tobias certainly is that to me, it all started with Mike back in '84.
    i would want a warm sounding one- the Norm Stockton's i have played (Myrtle top and Tulipwood bodies) have been nice and open sounding-
    that blue ash one that Andre Gouche owns taunts me.
    gotta talk to Mike and see what he's cooking up these days.
    and after viewing most of that MTD thread... i better get a grip.

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Bro! You need help!

Says me who nearly traded one of mine for a rambutan topped MTD... :D

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, you both need help!

Me too... :oops:
    I came over to Basses to start a thread about MTDs... :ninja:

4. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    Wow, i JUST posted about your old MTD in the other thread AG....creepy :bag:

5. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    maybe i can take care of my MTD AND 6 string gas in one shot.
    but somethings gotta give and so there's not much to give!
    with my old Fender Am Dlx on the way back to me, and my Warmoth J 5, i may have to make a choice.
    My F bass is going nowhere. I would ask God if i can take it heaven with me, but i know the basses there are far beyond anything here.

6. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i saw that tonight-
    that was a special bass- not to give myself credit or anything, but it was one of the first if not the first spalted maple bass i had ever seen.

7. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    Yup, it definately was. That's why it had such a monster impact on my taste in basses. I'm seriously debating getting one made with the same specs for nostalgia's sake alone. It'd be such a symbol of my accomplishment of graduating and getting a non-crappy job.
    Hmm...

Come to think of it...you and that MTD are solely responsible for my love of exotic topped/boutique basses...it's YOUR fault! :mad:

:p :D

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Uh-oh....;)

Would you try to order one with a 34" scale Adrian?

9. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

This one just posted on bassgear for 2k

DSCF0011.

10. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I've had MTD lust for a long time... It got really bad after I played that 635 at NAMM...

11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Too late. He's a goner. He's had at least one before, too, so he's not even protected by not knowing what he's missing. WAY too late for Adrian.

Adrian, let us know which one you get, dude, and I'd love to hear you play a little on it via mp3. :)

12. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i had actually had something like 4 MTDs- some 535's and a 635. I am waiting to talk to Mike T about one.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

I think the MTD 6 string would be a smart move , I hear Mike will even chamber bodys now so you can get a light one.

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well, the chambered thing isn't just about weight like it is some other chambered instruments. It also changes the tone to be bigger in certain ways, which may or may not be what he wants.

Oh, and Adrian, don't waste my time with your history. The next thing I wanna' see from you in this thread is pics/specs of your new MTD and a link to at least one mp3 of you playing it. Now GET ON IT! ;) :D

(evil) baaaahahahahahahahahaha...

15. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    i await Mike's reply to what he may have going on- while he was at NAMM, i asked about a top like yours- he said he may have something similar, but nothing that striking that he remembers.. i may go simple with this MTD, maybe no top. so, the chambered, does it still punch hard? is the slap tone still there?

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

I know I am a big chambered fan , the weight reduction is a pleasent after effect. I would love to try one of the MTD Chambered basses.

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

One of the things that surprised me about the chambered MTD"s was the lack of weight reduction IMO. While they were lighter than Vic's quite heavy 'northern ash' bass, both Tom and Vic's were heavier than my swamp ash/wenge 535, which weighs about the same as a typical tulipwood 535. Interesting. I guess the bigger, thicker body makes up for the reduction due to the chambering. Very nice basses though... with the chambering impact being very subtle.

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    +1, but depending on specific wood pieces... TB'er Gruuv just checked out Marilyn #2 and said it was pretty light, but my Marilyn, while lighter than my solidbody by about 1/2 pound, is still over 8 1/2 pounds. I THINK 8.8 vs 9.3 if I recall correctly.

19. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    maybe i can hipnotize Tom into a trade with a new Skjold that is coming soon...:bag:
    :D

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yes, but it definitely sounds "bigger", and more noticeable at higher volume levels, which some might translate to a sense of less aggression, and maybe even less "focus", but I don't want to use a word like that carelessly... too many potentially bad connotations that are not intended.

Maybe think of it just as you'd assume... a solid body MTD 535 with a mild acoustic character overlaid. Or, maybe to say I think my solidbody probably growls a tiny bit better, but the Marilyn slaps a tiny bit better. Either one can pretty much do anything tho.