1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

out of curiosity, how selective is juilliard for bass players?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by stencilman, Apr 24, 2010.

1. stencilman

stencilman

Jul 24, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    i was just wondering.

2. St-Teddy-Hall

St-Teddy-Hall

Dec 30, 2008
    london
    Have they got a junior program at Juilliard? Do a lot of people go direct from that into undergrad? I don't know much of anything about Juilliard, so I'm just asking out of interest.

3. benharrisfan

benharrisfan

Sep 27, 2009
    The amount of people they accept and the amount of people that audition varies every year. For whatever reason, last year there was only one new graduate student and no new undergraduates. This year is unusual because the school will probably have to accept about 10 people out of necessity because of the amount of students graduating. The number of bass players they have ranges from around 20 to 25.

Levinson and Laszlo are the two pre-college teachers, so for students that go through that program it helps tremendously getting into undergrad.

4. WAY

WAY

Jun 22, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    @ Andrew....

This guy is just sour because Tim Cobb wouldn't accept him into his studio at Juilliard. .

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, that sounds like selective, then, right?

6. bassat88

bassat88

Mar 3, 2008
    New York City
    damn straight

7. WAY

WAY

Jun 22, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Juilliard is a numbers/timing game. Meaning, there are quotas they need to fill, BUT that doesn't mean they will take anyone. Some years are more openings than others.

For instance, this year are many graduating bassist. maybe there are 24 enrolled now (8-10 leaving). Don't be surprised if they only take 4. Juilliard didn't get their reputation by just accepting whom ever auditions. This thread is nonsense.

The overall picture, Juilliard is the most prestigious and well known school for the performing arts in the world. Nobody cares if you got in during a rebuilding year they took 8 players (or 1 player.) There are always fantastic bassist studying there. You should consider yourself lucky & proud if you are accepted.

Outside the bass world, nobody knows that Rice and Curtis are most likely more competitive bass schools to be invited. However, they do know The Juilliard School.

Names like Christopher Reeve, Robin Williams, Cho-Liang 'Jimmy' Lin, Sarah Chang, Lynn Harrell, James Levine, Pinchas Zukerman, Christian McBride, Leonard Slatkin, Eddie Gomez, Renee Fleming, Miles Davis, to name a few...

This is what going to Juilliard is all about. It's being surrounded by the best performing artists in the world every day.

Tim, Al, Eugene, & Orin do a fantastic job as teachers, mentors, and leaders in the professional double bass world. Get a lesson with each of them before you audition. To say it isn't selective/competitive OR isn't worthy for what ever reason is insulting to me and every other artist that ever graduated/attended Juilliard.

8. stencilman

stencilman

Jul 24, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    glad we finally got an on topic answer. yeah, i have a hard time believing that they're not selective but i've heard that as far as double bass programs go, they were more lenient than other schools... had to make sure.

either way, i'll probably never audition or apply, but are you saying that you have to get a lesson with cobb, levinson, al, and orin to make it in? i know it definitely couldn't hurt, but is that what the professors are looking for?

9. This sentence contradicts itself. Why be interested in how to get in if you aren't considering applying to get in? :confused:

10. stencilman

stencilman

Jul 24, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    so i can't be interested in how the admissions process works at one of the top music schools in the country?

the reason id never apply is because i cant stand nyc... but i was just curious, detective.

11. Andrew Hamilton

Andrew Hamilton Guest

Apr 18, 2010
    I believe he recommended taking a lesson with each of them in order to better understand their individual teaching style so you can make an educated decision when choosing which studio you'd like to be in.

12. couldn't hurt, eh? That is, assuming they could take you on as a student. Wouldn't you have to audition for them first, anyway?

13. bassat88

bassat88

Mar 3, 2008
    New York City
    I would have to agree that this thread got out of hand. Every audition should be taken seriously no matter how "selective" it may be. Practice hard and and focus when you do no school is out of reach

14. WAY

WAY

Jun 22, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Working hard and being well prepared for any audition is key, however in the music school front it is extremely smart to take a lesson with any teacher you are seriously interested in.

Your lesson is a learning experience AND audition for the teacher. It's smart to find out what the teacher is like. If you don't like their teaching style or personality, then move on. If it's what you want, then you really push for their studio.

Remember this about Juilliard Faculty:
    Eugene - exclusive to Juilliard
    Orin - MSM, Mannes, Juilliard
    Tim - MSM, SUNY Purchase, Juilliard, Lynn U. (Boca Raton, FL)
    Al - CCM & Juilliard

15. yeah, why worry about how "selective" a school is anyways? Just play your best. If you belong there you'll get offered a spot in their studio. Numbers factor in as well, as has been mentioned already, but they won't let you in unless they want you. So make them want you!

16. bassat88

bassat88

Mar 3, 2008
    New York City
    It's possible that you may be accepted into the studio that you don't want to be in (although I rarely see that happen) if that's true you just contact the teacher who you want to study with and first of all make sure it's possible to transfer into their studio. Sometimes they are just too many students already and they wouldn't possibly be able to take on another. Then if they say yes just contact the school and go through the necessary steps to apply for a different studio. However, due to the changes going on in the bass department right now there will be more chances for the students to work with all of the faculty members. Maybe not in a one-on-one situation, but in master classes or sectionals.

17. Micromegas08

Micromegas08

Sep 16, 2007
    Thanks. Approximatively, how many master classes or sectionals are there during the year?
    What do they call "bass ensemble" in the course prospectus ? (sorry it's off-topic, you can PM to answer if you want but I suppose it might interest other pple)

18. WAY

WAY

Jun 22, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    3-4 Masterclasses/year

In 5 years I remember 2 sectionals.

Depending on the studio will determine how bass class works. Every studio has a class bringing all the studio together

19. benharrisfan

benharrisfan

Sep 27, 2009
    This year there was two (Ed Barker and Jeff Bradetich) and last year there was only one. I think that the only time in the last four years that there's been three masterclasses in a year is three years ago when the orchestra office organized Klaus Stoll to give a masterclass on their own without the bass department.

20. WAY

WAY

Jun 22, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's no good Ben. When during the years David (then Homer) ran the dept there were always at least three. There must have been some cutbacks since the remodeling or something.