Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Out of curiosity II: wrong jack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Jun 19, 2004.

1. OK, so I'm looking at a local rock forum and I see this:

Young lady bassist lets another band's bassist use her amp.

The other bassist plugged in his bass not knowing difference between active in and passive in.

Amp is F'd up.

They don't go into details but she says she cannot use her amp.

What probably happened? Can it be fixed? If so, how much $$$?

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well some of the amp tech heads around here will be able to provide you with more info, but they'll probably all want to know whether the amp is tube or ss, and if the speaker blew or not. If the amp wasn't turned all the way up plugging into the passive jack with an active bass shouldn't really harm the amp.

3. natrab:

I was told the guy plugged a PASSIVE bass into the ACTIVE in connection.

The victim was a Behringer head.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    That would never cause any harm whatsoever.

Now that has been the death of many rigs.

So what? No problem.
    Passive instrument into the Active In would just have a -8 or so cut.
    That's all.

The devil is in the details.
    Whatever the reason, it's not the one given that's for sure.

Most likely it's a Fuse, check them all, inside and out.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have a Fender MusicMaster that has a very hot single coil passive pickup. I routinely plug it into the active input to bring the level down to a normal passive level. No problems at all.

6. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    There is more to that story....the connection described basically cannot screw up the amp. It's like leaving the gain too low....does that mess up amps?

Sounds more like gobbledegook invented by whoever DID screw up the amp, to duck out on the damage. Or an attempt to make it seem like some unfortunate unavoidable accident, and not a screwup by someone.

Guaranteed....someone did something bad, like too many cabinets, or plugging the speaker out line back into the input, etc.

Do not "lend" your only or mostest favoritest amp/guitar/GTO/whatever to someone. It's begging for trouble.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I agree with the others. Something isn't adding up here. The missing details may be deliberate.

8. Free Agent

Free Agent

Jun 11, 2004
    Hi All

Reading thru this forum has got me thinkin, my amp has a
    high imput and a low imput, is that similar to active & passive or quite what? the high definitly puts out more... can somebody explain? thanks :p

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What's the mystery? It's a B-word amp.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Who hooked up the amp? Does "amp" mean amplifier and speakers?

My former band won a battle of the bands one time when our biggest competition thought that they'd look cool by having a "road crew" set up their gear. The bass amp didn't work during the first song because the "tech" plugged the speakers into the line out jack. Of course we all know how bad a band sounds when you can't hear the bass:)

My guess is that the problem is random (unless the output was accidentially shorted out by a bad cable, etc.) which may or may not be caused by the fact that it is made by Behringer.

11. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like that.