Out of curiosity......

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Why is it that just about every hit record has this one thing in common: the "powers that be" said that it would flop. Being that these "powers" are so friggin stupid, and have NO idea what the public likes, why do they have their jobs? I'll close with 2 quotes:
    "She'll never make it. She'll be a session background singer at best. I can't see her maikng any hit records." - Berry Gordy talking about Aretha Franklin

"I don't hear any hits on this album. Why should this be released?" - Tommy Matolla on Lauryn Hill's debut CD. Oh yeah, it sold 8 million copies!
  2. i know what u mean my dads freind band were really big in boston around 95 to 98 .they were really big but no one would sing them because they were normale rock and roll.all they heard was that it wount sell then bands like creed that are rock not metal started to get big again.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Because they are full of you know what.they rarely no what they are talking about.thats why we as artist have to try to do what is best for our future ourselves as much as possible,and not depend on some unattached entity that does not feel us to begin with.
  4. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I was in this band for 6 years:

We were looked at by more record labels than I can remember (including big labels like Sony, Warner Brothers, etc...). Everyone always said the same thing, "you guys are great, it's fun music to listen to and it's one of the most original things we've heard in a long time... we have no idea how to market you though. So thanks, but no thanks."

Ass clowns. All of them.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well, the fact of the matter is, is music is a business and record companies are always taking a gamble when they sign a new artists. They want to make sure the forumula is going to work, which is why we see less orginal (or at least very talented) acts and more cookie cutter ones.

Personally, I believe that all music should be kept "underground" and in the hands of the artist. The only two problems I see with this though is.

1. Music would probaly progress differently if it was all mainstream. An example was the Beatles becoming huge. Once they hit it, they were heard around the world and literally changed the face of music. You probaly wouldn't have revolutions like that if music wasn't mainstream.

2. Probaly the biggest problem is the average music listener is lazy and it's just to easy to get your music right off the radio/MTV. I doubt many people would search out music if it wasn't played on mass media outlets.

All just IMHO though.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LiqMid: Great points.
  7. because, as they say, "fólk er fífl".
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

All the A & R men I've met are "failed" musicians and wannabe rock stars - they are there because they really wanted to be in bands but never made it! ;)

So - they know a lot about the business and artists, but by definition they have no taste/talent or they would have "made it" themselves !
  9. hahahahaha lol thats so true.
  10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Awesome link Geezer. I'll definatley be spending a lot of time at that sight. It even has a lot of the obscure artist I'm into.
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I think a large part of the problem is that is terribly hard to nearly impossible to guage the mood of the music buying public. Maybe media decision makers can do it some of the time, but they can't do it with consistency.

This it is so unfortunate that these same decision-makers maintain a strangle hold on who gets recording contracts and who gets big pushes. I have hear that much of their decision making is based on focus groups. Personally, I see focus groups as an artificial device for testing music product and may really have very little relation to reality as to what the public will accept and actually buy.

The irony is that while the media types are continually searching for the next Pearl jam or next Beatles, they literally step on their own feet in the process. They wouldn't recognize the "American Idol" or Nirvanna if they saw it and even if they did, they would be too afraid to take a chance. Thta's why music seems to evolve in a painstakingly slow manner. It is stifled by the industry that controls it. True innovators hardly have a chance.

"American Idol" allows the public to vote for their favorite performers, but look how much control is still maintained! Those kids have to sing what they are told under the conditions they are given. They are not really creating something new from their own creative juices. Unconventional performers like Meshelle Ndege O'chello , Erica Badu, Sade, etc.would never win such a contest.

I am certain some absolutely fabulous band is in a garage as we speak developing inspiring and exciting music, but we may never hear it. The deck does seem to be stacked against innovative and offbeat performers.
  12. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Interesting that you mentioned that American Idol thing, Boplicity... didn't that Simon Cowell say recently that Aretha Franklin wouldn't have got past the first round if she'd entered? :rolleyes:

Of course, no topic like this would be complete without mentioning the Decca A&R man who told the Beatles that groups with guitars were out... and then went and signed the legendary (and guitar-based) Brian Poole And The Tremeloes. On top of that though, two multi-million selling albums of the seventies that I can think of, Bat Of Hell by Meatload and Bostons' debut album, where both rejected by a myriad of record companies who didn't see any commerical appeal in the records.

And all of this is something I keep reminding myself when record companies tell my band we're not what they're looking for...