Out of Mothballs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Al Bass, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    I have an old Hartke 215XL bass cabinet that I'm considering bringing back on stage, but I'm concerned about its age and whether or not it can survive the gig at stage volume.

The last time I've played thru this cabinet on a gig was about 10 years ago. I play thru it at home every now and then, not at stage volume obviously, and still sounds good.

Band members want more low end on some of the newer dance tunes we're doing, so I'm just trying to avoid buying another 15" cab.

What's the likelihood this cab blowing the speakers and self destructing?

Thanks!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Unless storage environment conditions were bad, it ought to be in roughly the same shape as when you last used it. Do the cones and surrounds look ok?

3. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    If you're concerned, play it at home or at practice. Physically check the speakers for deterioration, and if it's ported make sure mice haven't set up shop in it.

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Should sound "mellow and aged" like a fine Merlot. ;)

5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    If it was stored in an environmentally benign environment (i.e not stuffed in a tool shed in the back yard, left baking in sunlight in front of a window, sitting in damp cellar, providing a home for insects or rodents, etc.) and was in okay shape when stored, I would think it would be fine. I have some original drivers in cabs that are 30+ years old and still work fine. I'd check it over for damage/deterioration and if all looks well, just try it out and see how it sounds.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

May I suggest that you allow the drivers to settle at lower volumes. You don’t want to just play it flat out until the suspensions of the drivers regain flexability.

7. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    I have an old Hartke 210 much older than that- still works just fine.

8. Agedhorse has commented in previous threads that speakers don't just wear out from getting old. Thank God, the Jensens in my 60+ year old Fender tweed amps still sound awesome. Now age and deterioration of surrounds, abuse, poor storage conditions etc. are a different deal.

Al Kraft likes this.
  9. shadven

shadven Twang-tastic Bass Player and Song Writer Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock, therefore I am.
    It should be fine. Those cabs are beasts. Crank it at home, if it sounds good, you're good.

10. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    Thanks gentleman! The physical appearance of the speakers looks good and they measured good (DC resistance). I'll give it a go. I do miss the fat, low end from my Bergantino HT322 and the Hartke Hydrive 410 not cutting it. Considering a GK Neo 212 or 2 if the 2x15 doesn't work out.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021