1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OUT OF PHASE CAB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErnieD, Mar 4, 2008.

1. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Is there a easy, quick way to determine if my speakers are out of phase just doing it here at home? Just troubleshooting and this is one step I think I may need to try.

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    pull the grills and see if the cones go in and out together when you play. if they are going opposite (1 in 1 out at the same time) then yes they are out of phase

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    There's the battery test. If you connect a 1.5-Volt battery to the speaker, you can see the cone move in or out. If the + terminal of the battery is connected to the + terminal of the speaker, the cone will move out. Don't hold the battery there for too long, as it's not altogether friendly to the battery.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Another way is if they are side by side, you will notice places where the sound is greatly diminished as you walk around the room. If the speakers are otherwise identical, but out of phase, the lowest volume will be when you are right between the speakers.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Checking with a nine volt is quick and easy. I do it every time I switch out a driver. All cones move out from the basket when you hook hot from the battery to hot on the speaker. If not, you need to figure out why.

If you jump cabs, check that too.