out of place and underappreciate, but no alternative

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chaak, Jun 28, 2018.

1. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    some 6 years ago two of my highschool friends contacted me and asked if i am still playing bass, they wanted to form a rock fusion trio. first few months we were writing songs and rehearsing twice a week , recording ideas, trying out things between each of us composing on our own and all of us comign together to work things out it was going well. Until the other two guys got real lazy, the drummer does not rehearse at home started skipping practice sessions and when he shows up he is either tired or out of shape. The guitar player started having other interests (pretty immature) wanting to turn practice into a guys night type of thing where we'd jam a bit and then he'd want to smoke and have some drinks. this dragged on until a year ago (i went along since thats my only chance to play with a drummer and a guitarist and compose original music). a singer approached us wanting someone to arrange some songs and help her in developing and recording some tracks. they both accepted i took this a chance to break the routine of dead end jams. singer turns out to be horrible recorded two songs I worked very seriouly and wrote well placed and elaborate bass lines. they did the bare minimum anyway long story short the project fell through. right after i met a singer at an open mic and he told me he has some lyrics and would like to develop them i invited him over the other two loved his lyrics and his voice and how he sings. so we started working on new songs together. we are now on the 4th the plan is to lay down an album again i do my homework and write very interesting yet subtle bass lines the BL (in this case the new singer since its his vision and songs that we are working on loves them and he feels they're spot on. the songs are difficult to clasify genre-wise (the singer is into world music and fusion and accordingly thats how i approch the bass) but the drummer and the guitarist are always pushing for them to be metal (heavy riffing , tastless shredding and blasts)

so whenever i come up with an appropriate and interesting line or lick they tell me to stick to playing only root notes. i've had it i dont want to leave but i dont know what to do

Ellery and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. When the drummer/guitarist are pushing for more metal, is the singer in agreement or does he like your current approach?

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Talk to the BL. If he's okay with the way things are then you're stuck. If he wants to move on, go with his new project. Otherwise move on yourself

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Mr_Moo likes this.
  4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    find a new drummer. dump the old guit. and drummer.
    when u have a drum and bass and singer, melody players magically appear.

Mr_Moo, getbent, el murdoque and 4 others like this.
  5. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    he likes my approach but he doesnt seem to voice his concerns , he said it once and that was it but both guys still push in that direction

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Look to see what else is out there.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    yes he is ok to some extent he gets to fulfil his dream of writing songs and making it as a musician.
    he is the only making money out of music he sings with another cover band and sometimes does solo gigs (we are 10 years older than him with kids and day jobs)

8. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    thank you all for the replies and suggestions.

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    The bulk of my band days have been working on original music projects.

If you’re doing originals, the band should have composed twelve original songs worth recording and be ready to gig two sets worth of music (you’ll supplement your originals with a few well chosen covers when you’re first starting out) by the six month mark.

If it’s not there, or it’s stalled, or turned into a social club, it’s time to walk.

10. Chango Malo

Chango Malo

Apr 8, 2017
    do yourself a favor and fire the bass player. It really doesn't sound like those two cats are on the same page as you. No problem, go find yourself some like minded musicians. Guitar players are so thick you can't swing a dead cat without hitting four or five and a good bass/guitar duo can certainly attract a solid drummer. If you like the singer you're working with, ask him if he'd like to start a side project with you.

11. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I could not agree more, do it, do it now, openly and honestly

12. craigie

craigie Guest

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Whatever you decide do whatever you can to hold onto those guys as friends because six years is a long time.

SoCal80s likes this.
  13. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    A somewhat different reaction:

Six years? You're the only one who practices? Get out of there! Take the singer if he wants to go with you, but get out, regardless. You have two guys who want to be in a metal band vs. you. This is never going to go your way. These guys can still be your friends, but you will never be happy making music with them. Go.

14. ProgressiveDoom

ProgressiveDoom Guest

Mar 31, 2017
    My band is great to work with and we are all on the same page except.....I have many many more pages that dont fit in our book. I like creating more intricate and complex structures and I cant fit them into our sound, I sure try but ....its out of the box. Way out of the box. I realize that I cant command 3 other members to play along to something they dont like or cant understand so Im now scoping the local ads for anybody doing something unlike everybody else. Its the only way I'll be able to be free, to be me through expression of music. Im unique as the sounds I create so this could take a while.

chaak likes this.
  15. Max Blasto

Max Blasto

Nov 29, 2010
    San Diego
    I could say so much. But when it gets down to it I have to say something that I’ve never said on TalkBass before:

^This

:bassist:

chaak likes this.
  16. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Have a chat with the singer & see what he thinks about the situation.

Start looking for another drummer & guitarist.

waveman likes this.
  17. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Not to put too fine of a point on it, but the time it takes to compose a record worth of material depends on the complexity of the music, don't you think?

If you're riffing out 3 chord songs, okay... If you're very meticulous in your approach, it might take more time.

18. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    After reading. You’re post I. got the vague sense that you are seeki...

Ng suggestions on: what to do;

Here’s my sug

Gestion: Quit and find some other project.

bassplayer2014 likes this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Work expands to fill the time available. If you don't set yourself some deadlines you'll seldom achieve your goals.

My experience is mostly in prog rock, which tends to favor fairly complex compositions. If your band had the skills, it doesn't take that much longer to work out song arrangements.

As far as inspiration goes, a lot of it is acquiring the habit of being inspired. If you sit around waiting for your muse to put in an appearance then you aren't going to accomplish much from what I've seen. If you want to write a dozen good songs you'd best resign yourself to the fact you'll probably need to write at least twice as many lousy songs along the way to get there.

Composition is also something you can acquire a knack for. There's a definite daily process to it. Once you get into the swing of it and silence what's been called " your inner critic" you'll find songs come along regularly. And usually in bursts. You'll sit down with an idea for something, fall into the creative zone, and end up with five songs, at least three of which are workable. You then turn the band loose on them, and next thing you know you've got three new songs. After that it's just rinse and repeat.

To also not put too fine a point on things, if you want to do an originals band it's not just a question of quality. You also have to produce in quantity. Nobody is going to want to hear your one originals set for two full years if they're following your band. They're going to want to hear a steady stream of new music and grow and evolve along with the band itself. So you're going to need to crank out new songs regularly.

It takes a lot of music to do a full show. Sure, you can do "extended" (i.e. stretched) versions up to a point to fill a little time when playing live. But you'll still need roughly 10 good songs per hour. Or about 12 songs per album release.

Not an easy task until you start getting good at it.

Good writers write every day. Good photographers take thousands of shots and cull the best for their portfolios. Good songwriters write a lot of tunes and cherry pick the best for further development into great songs. But none of the successful ones sit around waiting to be inspired. Or give themselves a blank check for time to accomplish things.

Or so that's always been the case based on my own experiences and observations. YMMV. :)

chaak likes this.
  20. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    you don't know what to do? really?

doesn't sound like it's a good situation for you. Quit.