Out of place items have made their way into your gig bag/case?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ramathorn1125, Jan 19, 2017.

1. ramathorn1125

ramathorn1125

Jan 16, 2008
    New Jersey
    I was running late for work as I had slept over at my drummers place after practice. I quickly changed my clothes and stuffed my dirty underwear and socks along with two beers into my gig bag. It got me wondering about what other random items have made their way into gig bags.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  2. Over the many years of gigging I collected all sorts of bric-a-brac from venues and players broken drum heads and sticks, burned out tubes, broken strings, posters and signs from venues, discarded clothing and lingerie, empty mugs, glasses, ash trays, liquor bottles, a couple of wigs, assorted hats even a well worn bowling pin ( a story sworn never to tell). My bass trunk was especially notorious for collecting all sorts of things courtesy of my band mates including once a desiccated dead animal and a pair of really nice folding chairs. Of course there were the unmentionable things like sex toys and more than once a blow up love doll of various nationalities and genders (why else do you think i collected wigs?).

I used to be that guy that carried a suitcase and later a trunk with an assortment of music accessories just in case of need for myself and unprepared musicians aka guitar players and drummers.

I do not count broken and abandoned guitars, cables, stands, mics and effects that I repaired and provided new owners for.

ramathorn1125 likes this.
  3. ramathorn1125

ramathorn1125

Jan 16, 2008
    New Jersey
    YES! That's what I'm talking about! I'm guessing the bowling pin may be a crossover into the sex toy category?

4. Mark_70

Mark_70

Dec 31, 2013
    Minnesota
    I'm not answering that without my lawyer.

Regards
    Mark

zontar, Oddly and ramathorn1125 like this.
  5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Lego is everywhere in my house, so it should be no surprise if some pieces wind up in my gig bag.

zontar, Seth Miller, JRA and 4 others like this.
  6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The most common stowaway in my gig bags are those wedding/restaurant napkins. Even then, there have only been a handful over the years.

zontar, JRA, bassbrad and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ouch, that would hurt .. tell me you love me first .. no lube no love..

Funny but,
    Oddly enough not in this case.

8. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Found a rolled up sandwich bag when cleaning out my gig bag. I forgot why it was in there.

9. That and the odd hotel towel or twenty. The towel collection came in handy late one night / early morning when the band decided to wash all our clothes, cuz they was way~way past dirty. After weeks of barely making grocery and gas money we had some extra cash in the grouch bag, $25 of that in quarters so it just made good (smelling) sense. Blame the drummer = his idea. Seven near naked musicians in a washateria in Boulder, Colorado what could go wrong. I can say we were not arrested after a visit from the local constabulary who seemed to be having a strange evening. He walked out the door mumbling something about musicians logic and it being a full moon.

10. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Recently found double stick tape in a bag

11. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    At least it's not a pineapple.

JRA, ramathorn1125, Lo-E and 2 others like this.
  12. I got a knife, a kazoo and orange duct tape.
    Sounds like "a guy walks into the bar" setup

JRA, ramathorn1125 and Oddly like this.
  13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    ...How about Mardi Gras beads or cheap, plastic leis? Those are actually my most common stowaways. Why are those so common on gigs?

beads.jpg
    [​IMG]

14. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I once found $20. No clue how that got there.

ramathorn1125 and Seth Miller like this.
  15. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    My girlfriend was probably there. She's a darn bead magnet. I don't get it.

ramathorn1125 and elgecko like this.
  16. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    What's odd about those, I keep a Swiss Army knife in mine, another instrument and if anyone asks, its gaffers tape. ;)

ramathorn1125 and Jimmy4string like this.
  17. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I think I ended up with a butter knife in my gig bag. I have absolutely no recollection of why it was in there.

JRA and ramathorn1125 like this.
  18. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm not answering this on 'Pleading the Fifth' grounds.

19. I had a Ritter bag once with like nineteen pockets on it. They are a blessing and a curse. You start stuffing that thing like your going away for a five day weekend and next thing you know it weighs thirty seven pounds.

20. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    My gig bag was at one time identical to my coaching bag for hockey, and left in the same general space in the basement. I've taken cords and tuners to hockey practice and I've taken hockey tape and pucks to gigs. I had to get a new bag when my sons' smelly gloves (among other protective things.. you get the picture) started showing up in the gig bag. Enough was enough.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022