Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Out of Slowounds - Now What?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Henko, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Henko

Henko

Oct 15, 2002
    Sweden
    When Daddario discontinued Slowounds, there were a few threads at TB about if there's a similar string to replace them with. Did a search but couldn't find any consistent answers/opinions.

I have found XL's are similar in feel but not as deep sounding as Slowounds. Now my last set of Slowounds are worn out and I don't know what to do.

I like the smooth feel, and deep sound but don't like flatwounds. I play a stingray. Someone please help me!

2. I don't think there's a consistent answer to what replaces Slowounds, simply because we all heard/liked something slightly different in them. I liked the fat warmth and singing high tones I got with those strings. I play Blue Steels now, and like them even better because of their more complex midrange and growly edge (I play a Stingray too). I didn't think XL's cut it too, though they are nice strings in their own right. A lot disagree, but as far as bottom and fatness is concerned I thought Ernie Ball Slinkies got close to Slowounds. They don't last long though.

Personally I really don't think you should get too stuck on how the strings feels. Choose the sound you like, and you'll get used to the feel anyhow.

3. Henko

Henko

Oct 15, 2002
    Sweden
    Thank's for the advice, Carl-Anton, but I just hate rough feeling strings. I will probably order a few different sets and try myself. Maybe I should try flatwounds like Daddario chromes.

Anyone else have an opinion on what I should do?

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Maybe D'Addario Half-Rounds?

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I switched to DR coated strings, Black Beauties to be specific. Great sound, smooth feel. Using a gospel tuning of A-D-G-C-F now, and it handles the detuning just swell.

If there were still Slo-Wounds, I'd still be using them. I had 4 sets on hold, but they're a thinner gauge than what I need now, so I had to let them go. Shame, cuz they do sound great...the DRs are more than a suitable replacement for them, I find...put them on my 4 string as well.