Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

out of the balanced DI or the unbalanced out?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cthesick, Mar 13, 2003.

1. cthesick

cthesick

Sep 12, 2002
    lawton OK
    when coming from my preamps should I come out of balanced DI or should I come out of the unbalanced outputs. I figured it would be better to come out of the balanced into a rack compressor (dbx) and continue on like so and keep everything post preamp balanced up to my amps to keep from signal lose and hum. what do ya'll think?

2. If you don't need your DI for anything like going to the sound board or something than I guess it would be OK. I've always gone unbalanced from my pre-amp to effects to etc. to amp and have had no problem with noise or tone loss. This leaves my DI free for sending a balanced send to the sound board.

3. cthesick

cthesick

Sep 12, 2002
    lawton OK
    but if your doing as you say you are, all of your effects and etc aren't being heard by the main mix. because your direct out is going to the FOH and your outs are going to your other rack toys.

one of the reasons I was asking this question was because I was reading that alot of people don't like the DI built into their preamps because they generate noise and what not. so either way I go i'm going to be spooked (haven't purchased my equipment yet). I want virtually no noise. I am getting the ebtech hum eliminator and going with all monster pro 1000 cables. I want to do everthing I can to have no noise generating in my rig.

plus running balanced lines, don't you get more head room?

anybody else?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Balanced/unbalanced becomes an issue when looking to send your signal over largish distances. Your sound guy needs the balanced line so the signal doesn't weaken by the time it gets to the mixing desk.

If you want to be technical the lead that you plug into your bass is unbalanced (ie 2 wires, the sound travelling down the core wire, and the second wire acting as a ground). So you've already got unbalanced lines in your signal. It's not a big deal.

5. cthesick

cthesick

Sep 12, 2002
    lawton OK
    hmmmmm, maybe i should make my bass outputs balanced. Imagine it..... no signal loss what so ever. It would change sound today as we know it..... or probably not.... oh well..... thanks

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :) Don't bother. There's virtually no signal loss unless you'r standing an unreasonable distance from your amp, in which case you probably won't hear yourself too well anyway.

By the way, you're were right about the PA not recieving the effects. I try to put the DI after the effects, which of course means I can't give the sound guy a direct feed from the pre-amp. So I use a seperate DI (Sansamp) and put it dead last in the chain. And it's noise free. THough I will admit i did have to hunt down some noise initially.