1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Out of the Pocket...Not Impressive

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JDJen, Apr 26, 2010.

1. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    I recently sat in with a friend of mine's band.
    When I got there they had just started the 2nd set so I listened to them, and of course paying close attention to what the bass player was doing. His sound wasn't my to my taste but he was in the pocket and playing very well. After the set I went up and talked to them and was asked if I wanted to sit in, and I do. Not really knowing their material we played some classic standards that a couple of them I hadn't played in 20 years or more. We switch places and he takes over again. His playing went from holding down the bottom to walks and runs that were not totally out of place but wasn't doing anything as far as complementing the rest of the band, especially when he was about 5 times louder than he needed to be.
    Needless to say, I was not impressed with his ability to overplay.

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Once again, insecurity rears its ugly head...

3. He obviously felt like he had to do that to show how "good" of a bass player he could be.
    How did you play do you think he felt like he had to regain his territory?

4. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    I guess I played OK for the most part. Kind of hard to mess up I-IV-V country and classic rock. I didn't do anything fancy...just played what I felt needed to be played (and what I could remember...LOL). Like I said, it had been 20 years since I played a couple of the songs.

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    The more I play the less I care about this stuff anymore. Control what you can control - your own playing. It's his decision if he wants to 'compete' with you and look like a tool. Nothing you can do about it but shrug your shoulders.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I was about to write something similar to what Maki wrote.

Its kind of low to go on a message board just to bash a bassist that let you play with his band, regardless of his overplaying.

7. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    That's one reason I hate sit-ins, whether I'm the one doing the sitting in or out. There's just nothing good that can come of it. Best case, you waste a bunch of time swapping instruments & lose whatever groove you've got going with the audience while gaining nothing. If the sit-in player isn't as good as the regular, it's a lose. If he's better, then it's a lose when the regular comes back! Either way, somebody gets shown up. Or, you look like a jerk for refusing to let somebody sit in (who was a jerk for asking in the first place).

I tell all my bands, if they want to have somebody sit in for me, I'm packing up. If they want him more than me, they can have him!

8. Any rational, mature person would have stabbed him in the eye w/a pencil. The affrontery- the unmitigated gall!

9. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    He's a jerkface. You should totally stab him with a pencil.

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    You shouldn't sit in with people. You're clearly bad for the groove.
    :D

11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I never "Sit in" with other bands and I never invite anyone to "Sit in" with mine.

12. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I love having people sit in! It gives me a chance to go pee. I'll hand my bass (and my band) over to one of the best players in town (among whom I do not count myself). I don't really care or have much of an ego. It's all about having a good time.

Of course, I know the guys that sit in and actively recruit them.

13. Thanks for the out loud laugh.:)

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Coach Hines would agree! ;)
    coachhines.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    He was just re-marking his territory... my cat does the same thing. NBD.

16. it kind of goes against the word "band"
    a band should be a rehearsed cohesive unit of musicians.
    each one working in "concert" to create a pleasing sound.
    allowing a sit in at a actual gig is asking for trouble.

If its a jam or open stage or whatever thats a different thing but in general
    id say no...

17. My rule about sitting in: no more than 3 songs, 2 preferable. Don't make it a cutting contest, unless the regular bass player can't hold the pocket, then be gentle- don't make an effort to show him up. And, when you hand the bass back, thank him (over the mike, if you can) and shake his hand on stage, and complement him and the band.

18. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies and input.
    However, I was asked to sit in...I did not ask if I could sit in. It was one of those "Oh It'll be fun" and the bass player saying " I need a break anyway" type of things. And like I stated it was just some old I-IV-V stuff that I hadn't done in a long time. They told me the key and we rolled with it. So I don't think I did anything to warrant a Head Cuttin' session.

I am not bashing his playing. He is a very good bassist and I was impressed with his playing BEFORE he knew I was there, he was very solid, everything he was doing was well rehearsed and sounded great. So if I am bashing anything it would be his decision to start showing off everything he could play.

19. I still see 2 votes for *stab w/a pencil* :)
    Seriously, to some extent I also have to consciously not trip on other bass players if in that situation, but I've improved(in not giving a rat's ace vs trying to impress).

20. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I still see no evidence of any pencil stabbings. Pics or it didn't happen.