Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Out of these basses which one is the best?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by diego_sanchez21, Nov 1, 2003.

1. ESP B304 (or the 5 string version B305)

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Ibanez srx3000e

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Ernie Ball OLP MM2 (or the 5 string version MM3)

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Ibanez EDA (the only model there is i think)

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. fender precission bass (the one i own currently)

22 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. HI...
    I have a Fender American P-bass. I dont really like it that much cuz the neck is to thick and i have played my friends musicman stingray and it blows my bass away.

I am looking forward to buying a new bass. i just wanna hear what basses you have and how are they good so i can know which are good options.

(some of my options are these: from ESP-b50,b55,b304,b305,f204,ta600,c204,c205...from Ibanez the good basses from the SRX series and the EDA series. From Ernie Ball an OLP mm2 or mm3...and from bc rich a warlock bass..)

UP THE IRONS!!:bassist: :spit:

2. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    If you like your friend's Stingray, then don't get an OLP. Different wood, different pickups. OLP is an Ernie Ball licensed Stingray clone made in China. If you have a MIA P Bass, then I'd recommend trying to work a trade for a used Musicman Stingray.

3. JPGT

JPGT

Aug 19, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    If you are looking at Ibanez basses, I would suggest you try out one from the BTB series. I have a 405QM and the wide variety of tones you can get from the active EQ is simply amazing, especially for the price. Alot of people seem to have negative feelings towards Ibanez basses, and I don't know about anyone else, but I think the BTBs are the most often overlooked basses in Ibanez's stable, and probably the most versatile/best sounding. Anyhoo, those are my 2 cents.

-J.P.

4. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    go ESP son!

5. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i think aussie mark hit the nail on the head

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm 4 votes for "p bass" and no posts about why...

I voted for ESP because ive tried a few and they are really nice, although... P basses ... ive recently grown attached to that style. I have yet to own a Fender one, but i recently bout an Essex one (fretless) and i really like it.

7. Aussie Mark

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    If you want to put your P Bass up for trade for a Musicman Stingray, I can recommend a visit to the Dudepit, which has sections for Musicman, Fender, and general bass trading (among other stuff). Great place to hang out.

8. Aussie Mark

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Simple. He already owns a MIA P Bass. The other basses he listed in the poll are not even in the same ballpark.

9. That's not a reason to vote a P bass the best of them for me.. And still, the other basses can equall the sound of a Standard P prety close IMO.

ANyway.. There is no such bass named SRX3000.. But if it means a SR3000 I think it is the best of them.. If it means the higher end SRX, I'd be torn between it and the EDA..

10. I voted P bass, I think it's the best from the list for me!

Another consideration would be to put a jazz neck on your P bass.

The Jazz neck is a little slimmer and you can still have the P sound.

Just thought I would mention it.

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i agree with Aussie Mark. there's no way that any of those Ibanez basses are even in the same league as an MIA Precision. That's my personal not-so-humble opinion.

how about the yamaha 404 in that price range? i think those are way better than OLP and low-end Ibanez.

12. I have to say P-bass. My first bass was a P-bass and then I traded it in for my Ibanez SR405. I thought the Ibanez was better. I have since seen the light and come to relize the errors of my ways....so yeah, FENDER P-BASS!!!

although I really love my Ibanez and would never sell it!

13. I've played the EDA/B/C's. Not bad at all.

I like the one with the one pickup and the peiezo's and the weird shape. I forget which one it is.

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I voted P for the reason cited above. However, I think the only true answer to your question is the bass that feels and plays well for you. ;)

Dan :bassist:

15. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Dude, he said that he had an "American P-bass" or MIA P-Bass, that could be traded for a Stingray, just put it in the For sale area here and see what you get...

16. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Dude! look at the poll. He offered it as a choice which is why more than 10 people picked it, including myself. No need to jump on people.

17. Hey Diego, I hadn't seen you were from Monterrey..

Paisano!

(Se supone que debemos comunicarnos en ingles, asi que ni pedo..)

Play them all before making your choice..

y bienvenido a esta madre..

:D

18. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I didn't vote (sorry), because I don't think I could give a straighforward answer by doing so. I own an ESP B304, and I think it was a great buy. The neck is straight as an arrow, its got a neck-thru body, and the EMG pickups would sound good underwater. However, Ibanez makes some solid basses, and depending upon your taste in music, a Fender P-Bass might be the best thing for you. Since you've fallen in love with a Stingray, I wouldn't buy anything less until you've found something that you're sure you'd rather have. Otherwise, you'll end up with a decent instrument that you'll still feel is inadequate compared to your friend's bass. Save up and get what you want, or keep looking until what you want becomes what you're willing to buy.

19. Amen to that! I, too, think the Ibanez BTB series is way overlooked. I have a BTB405 and would get another if anything ever happened to this one. I'm very pleased with the 405, but may consider one of the higher end BTB's with Bartolini pickups, just because of the favorable comments I've heard about Barts. However, my BTB405 with Ibanez pickups works just fine and is considerably less expensive.