out of tune, often, very often

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by olps, Dec 14, 2001.

1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Recently I've been carrying around my bass, for rehearsals, and performances. Lately it has been going out of tune , like whole tones sometimes, even after 5 minutes of playing. Is this normal? Or why is it going out of tune so badly? Thanks.
  2. Now, I'm humbly seeking to help here in castle DB, but to me that sounds like a slipping tuner. Either that or the strings are stretching due to some structural defect. I guess another possibility could be a severely unstable neck, but I suspect you would notice that.

Of course, I only play a plank right now, but those seem to be the most likely causes. Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong!

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Wow. Ed and Ray have really got you guys TRAINED these days.....:D
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Still giggling whilst I type.

Olps -- need more info. Carved or ply bass? Steel strings or gut? High humidity, low? All strings or just one or two? Temperature / humidty changes?
  5. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Ply wood bass. Old strings (about 25 years, bought bass about half a year ago, and it was bareley used, so I didn't change the strings). I've been carrying it to school rehersals anf performances, going from low humidity, average temp. 20 C (my house, I beleive its low) to the cold from outside, to a warm room, maybe 24 C ? And it seems its always flat, almost never sharp.
  6. Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
    Well, I think it's a possibility that your strings just died, man. There are prob other factors, which other people more experienced than I (I live in the tropics) will help you with, but I think it's time for a string change....regardless of what else you need to fix...think it'll help loads :)
  7. I think Klimbo hit hit nail on the head. You also need to make sure that the screw on the tuner is tight.

8. Not only am I paper trained, I also do windows :D

9. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Also, having several "wraps" of string around each tuner helps prevent breakage, and maybe slipping too.
  10. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, I had to sell one of my basses because some smart-ass drummer turned one of my pegs --- and wouldn't tell me which one!