Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Out with Bart, In with Lane Poor?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Angus, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey guys,

I've located a set of Lane Poor Soapbars that I think im going to buy, and I was curious if I should really put them in my Modulus. I honestly cannot remember how the Lane Poors compared to the Barts on my Modulus. The only reference I have to their tone on a Modulus is Oteil, but that's not what I'd sound like with them, so im curious!

Can anyone help? Im planning to leave the Bart preamp in there, if that helps. JT, you went from Bart to Lane Poors; think you could give a little comparison? :)

Thanks!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i really like the lane poors with the seymour duncan 3 band preamp.

in my experience, the lane poors have a clearer high end and a more mellow low low end than the bart soaps that i had. just a flatter, more open sound. the barts sounded to me like i was playing with cotton gloves on.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    So do you think they'd be beneficial for me, being that this bass is mostly used for harder rock? I will use it for other things when eventually (the backup is being used for other things for now), but for the rock aspect, do you think it would improve my sound?

I generally go for a somewhat deep bass sound, with EVERYTHING flat except some bass boost on my bass. Very bassy, but still clear.

BTW, thanks for the link Rick! Ill take a look in a second! If i dont buy them, ill give you the heads up about it!

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    have you listened to my mp3? that's my low F#-strung lane poor-equipped bass(the 7) with a demeter on-board pre-amp set flat, through an aguilar db680, also set pretty close to flat (just a bit of boost at 1.7 khz). that's a pretty fair representation of how it sounds, a bit rolled off on the bottom end, actually, but otherwise, pretty accurate. if you get lane poors, they'd probably sound a lot like that, although with the modulus neck, they might be overly snappy, bright.

what don't you like about your barts?

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Agh, lets see if this works this time. My desktop crashed 4 times while trying to type this!

Yeah; ive listened to your mp3 (i love it!), and im listening now, but i hadn't thought of it previously! Sorry about that!

As far as my bass, the LaBellas i use aren't very bright, so it should sound fine with less super-deep pickups.

The reason i dont like the Barts is because down low they are simply TOO dark. The B and E are surprisingly dark (compared to my other basses) anyway, but with those dark pickups, its just too dark and boomy. I prefer a clearer tone, but i dont want it to be SO clear that it's bassless, as i've seen in some other bass pickups.

I could live with my barts, but I dont want to have to! I've only played 1 Modulus with the Lane Poors, but it was a 6 string fretless. I don't really know how it stacked up against the Barts, because i didnt get a chance to A/B them solo.

I will keep the Bart preamp though, im sure of that. I'm still not sure whether i'll use them on my Modulus yet, or whether i'll keep them to use on whatever fretless i end up getting. But im pretty sure ill get them. I just want to have some backup to make sure im doing the right thing in putting them on my Modulus!

Thanks for the help, BTW!

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've heard the combo of LPs and Modulus a few times. Didn't really like the combination of the flat pickup response and the composite necks. It was very clear and lifeless. I've never been crazy about Moduli but the ones I did like had Bart pickups and Nickel strings. SS can take the zing factor through the roof...unless you love zing. The LP's are even "clearer" than the EMGs. For me that's going in the wrong direction;)

Strings IMO are an even more critical factor on composite necked basses than traditional ones. My Zon sounds like crap to me with the "wrong" strings. What Labellas are you using?

My Zon (w/Barts) has a very open low end but still has punch, even on the low B. I've heard Oteil live and think his sound is more geared towards soloing.

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Strings i've been experimenting with since i got the bass. I'm TOTALLY against using steel strings on the Modulus (for the most part), because, like you said, its way too damn bright.

But, i tried a set of LaBella Hard Rockin Steels, 45-135, and liked them. They aren't all that bright, which is good, because i don't like a lot of brightness. I was hooked on Slowounds, but i wasn't ever REALLY impressed with their high end, as they sounded pretty hollow on the Modulus, which the LaBellas don't. The heavy guage probably has something to do with it too, but I prefer heavier strings.

In this case, i dont think its the strings, because every set i've tried has given me the "dark" low end.

Thanks for the reference to Oteil; I dug out a video of him and watched it, and i agree. His tone is very solo oriented, but I dont think thats the only tone the LPs can get. I'm still looking for a composite bass with them to try, which i probably wont find.

Thanks for the opinion on the Mod+LPs, too. If you remember, which Modulus's did you try with the LPs? Its not a big deal, im just curious.

Then again, like i said, I could always get them and save them for my fretless, whatever that is.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Angus, I've heard a few different Modulus basses that had been "upgraded" with LP's. They were in stores, traded in, sold to the store or on consignment. They sounded very clear... and thin. I had the same experience with LPs on MM basses, Brubaker and several others. I was interested in an MTD 535 on the web recently until I found out it had and interesting body/pickup combination. IIRC it was Korina with LP's and the owner said it sounded hi-fi. Cool if you want hi-fi...I don't. I want something that cuts in the mix but still has some oomph.

I can see where the LP's would be great for tapping or slapping where less mids are preferred.

I just fall in that camp of people who aren't impressed with the flat response thing alone. It seems like a good idea until I compare them to my Bart equipped basses which have serious low mid punch, both composite-necked (Zon, Clover) and otherwise. BTW the Clover really straddles the hi-fi/traditional worlds. It's like the best of both.

With all of them, when I slap the B or E strings the dynamics are similar to a good kickdrum. I haven't been able to get that kind of tight, punchy low end with LP's. JT may have very different results.

I usually run the treble on most of my Bart basses flat...and I slap.

We all just like what we like ;)