Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Out with the Carl Thompson, in with..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Siff, Apr 1, 2002.

1. So, I'd been considering selling my Carl Thompson for a while (you might have noticed it in the classifieds a couple of months ago, before I decided to keep it.) While it's a great bass, I'd never been 100% happy with it, and with my custom Curbow almost done, I knew I was gonna have a new main bass soon.
    Well, last week, bassmonkeee sent me a link to a bass for sale at a store in Rhode Island. When I first looked at it, I chuckled. But the more I checked it out, the more it started to grow on me. The bass was listed at $1,350 on the site, and I realized I could sell the CT, get this bass and still have about $1800-$2000 left over.
    So I called the store, and the guy I talked to informed me that I could actually have the bass for $1,100 -- it was on consignment, and the owner really wanted to move it. That was it.. I was toast. I had him put it on hold for me, and then I e-mailed a couple of CT enthusiasts who I knew were interested in my bass. I had it sold within two days, for $3,100. So, I made a nice chunk of change for the 'ol bank account, and got a killer new axe!
    Of course, you're asking "what is this magic bass?
    It's a 1982 Alembic Exploiter, and it is as near mint as near mint can be. If not for some of the hardware being a little tarnished, it could pass for new. It has four tiny little marks on the back, which you can only see if you're really looking for them, and you can't feel them if you run your hand over the bass.. none of the marks is bigger than the tip of a pen. Oh, and by the way, it plays and sounds killer!
    Check it out!
    [​IMG]

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh, that is wacky, man....wacky i dig it...and an alembic for 1100 bucks? wow...

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, sir, that looks kinda similar to John Entwistle's old bass;)

Very sweet!:D

5. Didn't John Entwistle use one of those many years ago?

6. "Exploiter"? hahaha!

a great ripoff bass deserves a great ripoff name!

nice axe!

7. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I'm not wild about the body shape, but looks like it's nice. :)

8. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    A Carl Thompson for that?!?! Methinks April Fool's Day was a good day to read this.

9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    No, that AND $2000 for the CT. No joke, folks.

10. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I see... you got an extra $2000 to play with. Very cool, then.

Have you seen the joke at www.ctbasses.com yet? LOL I heard Carl was not too pleased about Aaron's (the webmaster) joke.

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I just read about that on the Dude Pit. Pretty funny, but he definitely should have let CT in on it...

12. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    what is the joke you are talking about. I looked at the site and I didnt see a joke
    :confused:

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Dave Siff:

just out of curiosity, i have never played a Carl Thompson nor i have seen one in person. can you tell me what you didn't like about yours?

thanks

14. Hey Barroso,
    I like my Carl Thompson a lot, don't get me wrong! If I hadn't seen this Alembic, and I didn't need the extra money, I would not have sold it.
    When I got my CT, it was a hull.. no pickups or electronics, needed a fret job, etc. I sunk a lot of money into it to get it in working order, and I'd been playing it lately as my main bass. It has tons of vibe and sounds terrific.
    If there was one thing I didn't like about it, it was that the neck profile was a little thick down around the first five frets. But, that's subjective.. it just didn't fit my hand as well as it could have.

15. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Hey Dave,
    Congratulations! I recognize that bass. You mean Rhode Island not New Hampshire don't you? I've got an '84 Exploiter too, but with a curly maple top. They are great sounding basses!

Hope you dig yours.

Ken

16. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah... Aaron took the joke down. He basically wtoe a note that was supposedly from CT saying that he was retiring and selling the business to Washburn. He said that anyone with money down on a CT bass would have that money put towards a new Washburn-made CT bass! LOL A few people on the message board were flipping out. It was pretty funny, but like I said, one of the guys having a CT bass built immediately called Carl and read him the note. He said "to say Carl was pissed would be an understatement".

17. Ken,
    Thanks for correcting me.. it is Rhode Island. Easy to get those little New England states mixed up! (I'm a Connecticut native, myself.)

18. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Great purchase Dave!

I've wanted one of those Alembic Exploiters since I was a wee lad. John Enwistle was my inspiration to pickup the bass. It looks like your bass doesn't have the silver spiderweb inlays or the dummy pickup.

Does it have fingerboard LEDs?

Does it make you feel like Thunderfingers himself?

Great bass. Personally, I'd much rather have that bass than a CT, but nostalgia definitely has a lot to do with it.

-shin

19. No fingerboard LEDs, unfortunately.. just the one LED on the front when you plug it in. Still, it's a killer!

20. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    That's a sweet bass! Enjoy!