1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Out with the old (Hartke) in with the new (GK)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by de la mocha, Jul 18, 2007.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Basically, due to circumstances beyond my control, I no longer have my Hartke 4x10 and ha3500 head. I have been temporarily using my Acoustic Corporation Control 15" combo with PA support Via a direct box for my church gigs.

I'm now going to move my Acoustic combo to my house and get a very simple GK set up to take to church and it WILL be coming back home with me!

This is not suppose to be a rig of doom, just something loud enough to be heard with pa support and something I can bring back home. I need your opinion on this set up. It's not a million watts or anything, it's very modest.

[​IMG]
    THIS HEAD WITH EITHER THIS CABINET......

[​IMG]

or this cabinet

[​IMG]

I can no longer keep my gear safely at the church due to potential flooding and need something cheap, easy to move, yet sounds decent. This may not be the sweetest rig, but I have pa support. Is this good? I'm looking to be heard over drums and a keyboard and to be able to pack up and go! It's all I can afford right now....:meh:

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    On a tight budget, I'd go for one of these GK heads:

- GK 400RB-IV
    - GK 700RB-II
    - Backline 600 (it's a really good head for the price)

That'll give you plenty of headroom. My personal recommendation is the 700RB-II, so you'd have a high-end GK amp and more than enough power (the only two better GK amps are the 1001RB-II and 2001RB, which are basically 700RB-II heads with more power). And as for cabinets... I wouldn't recommend the Backline series. Try one of these instead, since you're on a budget:

- GK Neo 212
    - GK 410SBX
    - GK Goldline cabinets

My personal favorite is the Neo 212, and it's the one I own. It's one of GK's best cabinets, and loud as heck! Plus, it's very portable and lightweight, which in your case, is a big plus. It'll work perfectly as a standalone cabinet.

Try to get them used, and if you can't, order from www.rmcaudio.com. They're relatively local to you, so shipping would be quick!

3. To be honest, I have not really been too impressed with the backline series. It would probabally be worth it to upgrade to the higher end GK stuff...

4. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    I'd second the move up to the 700RB-II, it's a better head, and, as MysticBoo said, will give you plenty of headroom. The PA support is nice but, in my praise band gig, the PA didn't like the low B string, so I've been going through my cab as well. I'm using the 410RBX (replaces the SBX, sweet cab), though in your case with portability being an issue, the 212Neo makes sense. RMC will be the best price you can likely find, and their service is great. Backline cabs for what they are do OK, but you'll be better served over the long haul with the better cab if you can swing it.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Ah... I forgot about the RBX cabinets!

I haven't tried those yet, but as the successors to the SBX series, they look really good.

6. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I'd echo the Avatar idea. I have a 210 NEO, and with PA support it'll be plenty cab for your needs I think. It also only weighs 45 lbs. And I've been doing smller-room gigs with a reggae band with it as my only cab. Does just fine- and I play with Island cats who'll bust my balls if it's not working.

It's the only one mentioned I know though, so take it FWIW- but it's still a solid rec.

EDIT: Also, the GK 800RB is still a great head. You can find 'em used for around $400+ I believe. The 400RB is also a great head, with less juice. Either one'll set you up right with the Avatar cab.

7. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Another thought: You're going cheep, and maybe trying to save for something bigger later? Try a small, cheep-o mixer as your pre, and find an old power amp. Not as convenient, but sometimes you find yourself doing what you gotta do until you can go DeLuxe.

I have an old Studiomaster mixer- small- and an old poweramp. Works great, and it's all mounted in a plywood box I made. Looked like dog until I painted it, now it's fine. Our singer loves it...

8. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    I made the same move 2 years ago. Up graded from a 4000 head and 810XL cab to 1001 RB Mk 2 and several RBH cabs.

IMO spend the $$ and skip the backline stuff and up grade.

9. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    810XL Hartke? Was it the weight/size, or are the RBH cabs a better thing somehow?

10. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    The 810XL is a sealed cab with aluminum speakers. Not a bad cab at all. The RBH are ported, if you can give them some power, IMO they really pump the low end.

Some of the TB's like the sealed cab, they claim this punchy and tight.

The weight is about the same.

Use your ears and buy whats sounds good to you. Its your voice.

11. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Yep, I agree. I ask 'cause the SVT 8x10 is a monster. Even though you don't actually get the same real lows out of it, it sounds like you do- it has low-mids and great authority! I don't know about the Hartke, so I'm curious.

I like 15's myself.

12. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    You know, I must be one of the few people who has had decent luck with the Backline series. I needed a much more portable rig, so I picked up both the 115 and 210 cabs, and have been using them along with an 800RB head. The only issue I found was a lack of extension below the rated 50Hz (as expected), so I added in a custom-made 15" cab that matches the dimensions (so it fits in the stack), and run that with the 115 for a 4 ohm load on the 300 watt channel. I now can't complain...it doesn't get as loud as an 810, but it breaks down for transport and for different configurations (I use the whole rig with my rock cover act, but only the 210 for my blues jam). The custom cab is tuned much lower, so the extension is back.

Working for a sound company helps, though; they built the custom 15", and I have access to larger rigs if and when I ever need them. Still, I certainly can't complain for the price or portability.

Just my $.02, YMMV!

-Mark