Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Out with the old, in with the new...again...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, May 24, 2005.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    As much as I liked my Custom Shop Relic Pbass, I simply don't have any desire to play any of my 4 string basses anymore. Don't get me wrong--It always sounded great, felt great, and played great. In fact, it was probably the nicest playing PBass I've played. But, it wasn't getting used, so it had to go bye-bye.

In its place is now a Sadowsky Metro RV5 in Sonic Blue. :hyper:

It looks like this one, but I think I have a rosewood fretboard while this one appears to have morado. I'll find out when I call Sadowsky.

http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/m271.html

It'll be getting Sadowsky flatwounds installed as soon as I get it home, too. And, I'll be taking some pics of my actual bass, too. :bassist:

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a pretty bass, if that were a woman, my wife might have to sue me for divorce!

3. It's comforting to know that I can now play a Sadowsky and not have a salesman and/or cash register anywhere in the vicinity!
    Congrats man, another great addition.

4. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--yeah, but you'll also be able to play one a lot more often, too. That can't be good.

Here are som pics that I took when I got it home. I've already installed the Dunlops and I threw a set of Sadowsky flatwounds on there as quickly as I could, too. This bass is not too heavy and the fretwork is impecable.

[​IMG]

Another thing I did was change the way the knob markers are oriented. This next shot shows the knobs in their zero postion (blend is at 50/50). This way makes more sense to me than the default setup.

[​IMG]

I've already been on the phone with Sadowsky to order a mint pickguard and a bell pickup cover for the neck pickup. I love the sound of flats played with a pick close to the neck, and I love resting my hand on the cover even more. :D

Can't decide if I like the creme strap with it:

[​IMG]

I'm really impressed with the soft case that came with it, too. I normally don't want to bother with cases for gigs, but I think this one will actually see something besides the dark recesses of my closet.

I should have some soundboard clips of this bass this weekend. I've got a gig at a place that burns everything to cd, so I should have 3 hours of material for Sadowsky and Bongo clips. :D

5. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Holy cow, that Sad is sweet! I love the colour.

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Yeah, I was glad that my favorite player wasn't your typical sunburst, or natural. Sonic Blue is such a great color--I can't wait to see it with the mint pickguard.

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    love the colour but I think the mint might clash, go tort :p. I'm not big on Sadowsky's (Although if I played one I'm sure I'd eat my words) But I really dig this one!

8. Ahem... :hyper:

I'll vacuum the shop if you'll bring it over. :eek:

Funny, I wouldn't have put it by Dave - he would buy anything :D, but I didn't take you for a Bab..er...Sonic Blue kinda guy! ;)

9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    hey is that a fat lil kitty in the background? pics!!! :D

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Heh--you do remember that I had a bass refinished in pink....err.....burgundy mist, right? :D

I'll bring it over at some point in the near future so you can put your ham prints on it. :eek:

Although, we really need to get the ATL contingent together in the near future....

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--I was wondering if anyone would notice him. That's Orson. Dave is deathly afraid of Orson because Orson has a desire to see Dave deceased, or at the very least, maimed. :bag:

Here he is in a very relaxed state.

[​IMG]

12. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Looks awesome. Congrats Jason. I was never a big fan of sonic blue until my old guitarist got a sonic blue strat, but it grew on me in a hurry. Let us know how you like it after the next gig.

13. Nice bass, and nice strap! I like the creme color.

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    orson is a great cat name , specially for a helipad like him :D

so , you have a relic fretless you wanna trade ?

15. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Sweet, I've got Namm # 3 RV5 a little darker blue, you will be VERY HAPPY.

16. :D
    Well, that bass has one too many strings and one too many numbers in the price! But, you know me -- no color is beyond consideration.
    I'm looking forward to playing the Sadowsky. When we first ventured to the Bass Gallery, Jason played every Metro 5 they had and kept putting them down until he came to that one. I don't think he even had the Custom Shop P at that point! He's had quite the year in gear, and it's only May.

17. :help:

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's our small cat.

19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Make that 2 Sadowskys! Anytime you wanna play mine, drop me a line.

20. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Nice cat, I mean.... bass!! :rolleyes: