Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

out with the SUB, in with the thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Oct 16, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I was out making my usual Saturday rounds, when I was in Martin Music, browsing, getting some new knobs, and my eyes came across a Warwick Thumb 5. I've always though Warwicks were alright, but not the best by any means. So I start asking them about it, and they tell me its used and the price is $750. I know these sell for 1600+ new or so, I think, so I plug it, and start slapping and popping it. Not bad. I pull out my pick and play a couple of punk lines with a compressor, and it sound glorious. Play a couple of finger lines, and when I start digging into it, the preamp distorted. The tried trimming the gain pot, and replacing the batteries but it still distorted, so they assure me they'll fix it. I drop $150 down and I'm out the door.

I've been thinking of letting the SUB go. I love the sound, buts wearing off on me. So simple solution. SUB out the door and Thumb in.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Congratulations :D!

Isnt buying a new bass, super-*******-cool?

3. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    sweet another one brought to the Thumb-side!

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Don't say that, Nickthebassist almost completely changed my mind about Warwicks. I'm figuring if I don't like it down the road, I can sell it for more since I'm getting a great deal.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nick DID change my mind about warwicks. Used to love em, now i dislike them.

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    +1 I used to dislike them, now I despise them :p j/k nick!

I find them rather un ergonomic and that they bear resemblance to a large schlong... :eyebrow: They do sound good though.

I would advise keeping the SUB as a backup bass, or just so you have a larger bag of tones to reach into when needed.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well my P-bass is staying with me. I've just become burned out on the SUB, and since I just got promoted, I plan on getting a Stingray fairly soon.

8. Well well well, remember when you said you'd take your SUB up against my Thumb anyday? tehehe, well, I know how you feel, as I used to love Musicman, and then became a warwick convert. I say get the thumb, it won't dissappoint you, at all.

9. Unergonomic? eh? dude, they rock, they have a nice shape(well, some do, some of the early thumbs are plain vile), but some have that nice, proportioned body, that is nice and small, and a wonder to play with, as it doesnt get in your way.

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Actually I would take the SUB on against the Thumb. The SUB is American made and handbuilt, as opposed to the machine made Warwick. The sound is good, but not as great as that Stingray sound that I love. I've just become burned out on it, and since I'm getting a brand new Ray in a few months, no reason I should keep it. So you haven't won squat. I'm still a free thinker, and always will be.

11. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Nick, please don't hijack this thread into a WArWiCK RUlZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111 thread. I posted about an awesome deal I got and that I'll be getting a Warwick Thumb 5, not to hear "oh, but you said this." I know what I've said about them, and I still think the same, but all in all, a deal is a deal, and it'll be a good bass to add to the arsenal.

12. Nick, have you ever heard the American euphemism about "not peeing in somebody's Wheaties"?

13. Nice deal, but the whole distorting thing kinda bugs me. I wonder if there are some wires hitting somewhere that shouldn't causing it to distort. I remember when I got a wireless unit from tplyons he told me it was distorting and when I opened it up I noticed some wires touching that shouldn't of, fixed that and it doesn't distort...Just a suggestion for maybe why your's is. Anyways man, enjoy the bass, but make sure you give the Ray lots of lovin when ya get it ;)

14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I didn't know you were getting a Ray in a few months. Now that I know that I say you might as well sell it. Wow a P, Wick and Ray that should just about cover your tonal needs :hyper: ONce again congrats on thecool score.

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Yeah. I'm thinking of dropping in some EMG electronics to give it a more Spector sound. Since Warwick's MEC didn't do a great job copying the EMG preamp.

There are other tones I'll need. Rick, Jazz, ATK. IT NEVER ENDS!!!BWAHAHAHA

16. Fine, but all I'm saying is, you got a kick ass deal *envy* and welcome to the world of warwick wielding maniacs! ooo, and can you post some sound clips?

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    He can't post clips-as he said, he doesn't own the bass yet.

18. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    It shouldn't take me more than 2 weeks max. Either I will sell my SUB and use that money, or I use my first paycheck as a Supervisor.

19. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Another outburst like that, and you'll be the newest Harmony Central member.

20. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Congrats, you got a fine deal even if you end up having to replace the preamp. Try checking the battery before you do anything, some preamps start distorting when the battery starts dying.