Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Outboard Crossover Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by int, Apr 8, 2002.

1. So I am in the process of "upgrading" my rig. I have a Carvin Pro Bass 500, into a Carvin 2x10 and a Carvin 1x15 (both have Emminece speakers).

I just purchased an Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp, which should arrive next week. I also have a Hafler Pro5000 amp that was running our pa, but we have gotten a pair of active loudspeakers for that job (Yamaha ms400's). The idea is to take the Hafler for my rig, and go from there into the Carvin cabs. My question follows:

I use the biamp feature on the Carvin sometimes at shows, and when I'm recording. Neither the SVP-Pro or the Hafler are biampable, so I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a good quality crossover for bass, to seperate the lows from the mids-highs of the SVP, if needed. I can spend a few hundred, but I'm willing to save for a while if I need to. Something "transparent." Although color is fine if it sounds cool.

Oh, and does anyone have any opinions about how noisy the SVP is? The Hafler has a slight buzz that is pretty tolerable.

Thanks ahead.

2. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I can't answer the crossover question, but my SVP-Pro is very quiet.

3. There are lots of electronic crossovers out there that will work for bass.All you need is a mono 2-way for what you are doing.Musicions friend has a Nady on sale for $99.Its a stereo but you could use just one side.Just look in the signal prossesors sections of your music stores or catalogs.Carvin has a good one too for $269 but you should be able to get one for under $200.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just make sure it goes below 200 Hz.
    80 Hz is a good lower limit.

5. I use Rane.

My MX22 crosses over from 100 Hz to 3200 Hz, your choice by a variable dial. The more expensive AC22 or AC22B crosses over from 70 to 3600 Hz.

The MX22 is on eBay all the time and is reasonably priced. The AC22 series is on eBay pretty often, but is a bit more expensive.

Each has individual volume controls, etc. This is pro grade equipment. Highly recommended.

6. I use a dbx 223 and it does the job very nicely. About $199.00 at the Guitar Center.

7. Damn you guys are good. Thanks.

8. 2nd the vote for Rane. Great gear

9. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    Ditto the Rane vote.

Like bgavin I have the Rane MX-22 that I use into a Mackie 1400i then to an Eden D-115XL and Eden D-210XLT.

I run my crossover point at 125Hz. YMMV

10. toastyghost

toastyghost

Jun 24, 2005
    And a third. I'm planning on going with an Eminence c/o when I put a horn in my Lynx cab just because they made the Deltas that Lynx used and they make the APT80 that I'll be adding. I like to keep everything in my rig consistent like that, but my band uses Rane for the PA so I know they are quality. Ours is an AC22. edit: and I just realized I have resurrected a flipping three-year-old thread... gah